Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2016, 07:48 PM

Dying Bees and Critters Threaten Global Food Supply, Study Finds

Dying Bees and Critters Threaten Global Food Supply, Study Finds

Some 40% of invertebrate pollinator species, such as bees and butterflies, are headed toward extinction....

“Everything falls apart if you take pollinators out of the game,” vanEngelsdorp said. “If we want to say we can feed the world in 2050, pollinators are going to be part of that.”
This is quite a worrying study...I was always led to believe that once bees were extinct we wouldnt be long behind them

http://time.com/4238464/bee-butterfl...or-extinction/
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2016, 07:53 PM

Re: Dying Bees and Critters Threaten Global Food Supply, Study Finds

At least its recognised how important the Bees and critters are.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2016, 07:57 PM

I quite convinced that from now on life is going to get increasingly difficult for mankind what with the population explosion and climate change.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2016, 07:58 PM

I hope everything can and will be done in keeping the worlds bees pollinating...they are indeed extremely important to us!
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2016, 09:05 PM

Very worrying, we should all do our bit for nature, that includes signing any petitions that concern conservation, banning chemicals, etc.
I am in the process of making my garden more of a mini nature reserve, with bee friendly flowers, bee/butterfly boxes and a couple of bird feeders.
We can't keep on taking and give nothing back.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2016, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by cranberry ->
Very worrying, we should all do our bit for nature, that includes signing any petitions that concern conservation, banning chemicals, etc.
I am in the process of making my garden more of a mini nature reserve, with bee friendly flowers, bee/butterfly boxes and a couple of bird feeders.
We can't keep on taking and give nothing back.

I completely agree with you cranberry, I think the same.
More chemicals are being banned all the time, although I do not think chemicals are the only cause.

Because of the surge in human population, more and more
of our beautiful countryside is being taken for building on, and gardens have also got smaller and smaller.
Wildflowers are often sprayed off or chopped down along the verges and footpaths.

Couples who both work, have little time for growing flowers, and others have got no interest anyway.
Too many front gardens are now either tarmac or block paving with perhaps only a small tub of plants at best.

We poison the soil with chemicals and then wonder why things don't grow healthily there. When they don't, we spray them even more.
It is a sad situation all round.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2016, 08:14 PM

My local council have done this for the last few years, patches of wildflowers in quite a few areas, looks lovely and also helps the critters.
I agree with you, Mups, there's far too much hard landscaping around, I thought they were being stopped or at least planning permission had to be sought... probably a rumour.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2016, 08:31 PM

I've read about this a couple of years ago so I planted more Lavender in my garden as we have had hundreds around the existing.

I love watching them up close.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK

28-02-2016, 08:36 PM

Some plants attract loads of them Tpin...I like seeing them all too.
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2016, 09:34 PM

I have heard this before and I have signed petitions to [tryand stop the use of harmful chemicals.One day governments may realise too late what they are allowing

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top