Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
limeleaf
New Member!
london
limeleaf is female 

27-02-2016, 07:46 PM

Voluntary Work

Wondering what work others do in the voluntary line. I’ve tried a number of things but nothing seems to suit for very long. I’m interested in hearing what you do and why you enjoy it. Also, any jobs you haven't liked and why.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2016, 07:57 PM

Re: Voluntary Work

Hello Joy, welcome can I ask why do you wish to know this.
The reason I am asking is someone else recently posted a similar question and they turned out to be spamming a site.
We don't allow user related advertising or spamming on this site.

If it is a general question that is fine..
limeleaf
New Member!
london
limeleaf is female 

27-02-2016, 08:37 PM

No. I genuinely want to know as I'm looking for inspiration and avenues to explore in my own quest to find something that's stimulating and enjoyable. I didn't want my post (especially as I'm new) to be a rant about the problems I have encountered as a volunteer (most often that organisations make poor use of the skills that volunteers bring). I'd rather hear about the positive experiences that people enjoy. I've worked in schools, gardens, shops and radio. The most satisfying was working in adult learner support at evening classes but nine times out of ten the courses folded after a few weeks due to high student drop out rates. I do some voluntary database work from home but it's pretty lonely so looking for something where I can work with others but also with a degree of autonomy.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2016, 08:50 PM

Working in your local hospital is very rewarding. You can have lots of patient contact, you could do the T bar, meet and greet, ward visits to pts with no relatives visiting...loads of different openings. Enquire there

Edited to add:
I volunteered for years at my local hospital. They started a Memories Box for dementia pts - had items and memorabilia and worked on prompting the pt to try and remember at their own pace.

There can be lots of things you could do. Certainly where I live there are general hospitals, hospices, as well as the local cancer hospital.
limeleaf
New Member!
london
limeleaf is female 

27-02-2016, 08:56 PM

Thanks. I hadn't though of that. Years ago I did some work for hospital radio and part of the job was to visit the wards collecting music requests. I enjoyed meeting the patients. I do live very close to the local hospital so that's a possibility. Is it something you do or did?
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2016, 09:06 PM

I've had a lot of different jobs over the years. The longest one was working for the NHS for 27 yrs. I've also worked for a couple of private hospitals. When I left I missed it so much I went back to one of the hospitals as a volunteer.

I gave it up a couple of years ago though. Commuting and parking was too much of a problem and just gave me hassle, and I didn't feel like I wanted the agro. I really do miss the pt contact though.

I've thought of doing something else, but now I'm doing nothing in particular, it's quite pleasant, although boring sometimes.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2016, 09:32 PM

I listened to children reading in primary school and helped with an art project, it was lovely!
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2016, 09:40 PM

I'm going to start voluntary work at the hospice that's caring for my mum.
All the volunteers have been there for years and it's like a close knit family as each and every volunteer has had a friend or family member treated there.

It's an end of life hospice giving palliative care, so everybody has a special bond with the amazing staff.

I'd suggest anything that may have an emotional link to you.
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2016, 09:51 PM

As I've posted on here already, but you might have arrived afterwards, I volunteer at Queen Street Mill, an old cotton mill that's preserved as a museum

I've been doing 2 days a week for about a month and for most of the time I've been cleaning some very old oily & dirty looms ready for display
I used to do a lot of car mechanics but now I've downsized to a flat I found I missed the grazed knuckles and the smell of old oil, so this suits me

I only work 10-30 till 4 each day, and the full time staff are very pleasant. So far i'm enjoying it, I hope the novelty doesn't wear off

So besides the various charities you could look for something like that. there must be museums & galleries in London that would like a volunteer or two

I have also worked in a charity shop when I was unemployed, that was OK too

Probably the best ever voluntary job my wife & I ever had was years ago when we were both younger and fitter

The Family Planning clinic at the local hospital was looking for couples to try out & recommend the different types of condoms they issued
Well, I know it's a rotten job, but someone has to do it....
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2016, 10:16 PM

Most members already know that I used to help out at our central library running computer classes. Three helping a library employee, and one with me running the course with a helper. I am waiting to hear about doing more, both at the central library and one closer to home.

I am also on the committee of our allotment association (which takes up a lot of my time) and am on the trading shed rota.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top