Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2010, 06:51 PM

Talking to strangers

As a non parent this has always worried me.

The other week two little kids came up to my gate when I was in the garden.

Hello says me

Hello they reply

Soon after their Grandad came along with the dog he was walking.

Hello and these are my Grandchildren

Nice to meet you I replied

Males are not all molesters
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2010, 07:30 PM

Re: Talking to strangers

Of course they aren't!
It's not good for children to grow up in a 'sanitisd bubble' either

Hooray for our wonderful press and their Paedo campaigns Far more children, unfortunately, are harmed within their families than outside them
PPHammer
Yorkshire, UK
PPHammer is male  PPHammer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2010, 08:31 PM

Same feeling - different scenario. I was walking the dogs in the park when a little girl came running up and asked if she could stroke the dogs.

Why should I feel nervous about such an innocent request? I said no, they may jump up at you, and went on my way.
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2010, 08:54 PM

And what sort of message did that leave?-dogs jump up? or at least a disappointed little girl?

The world has gone mad. What sort of messages are going out about the majority of us??
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2010, 11:42 PM

It's not the world we grew up in, sadly ......
val
Kent UK
val is female  val has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2010, 07:26 AM

It is so difficult, I know my OH is very nervous about talking to youngsters. A young girl needed help getting up a slope with her skates on, I got one side of her to pull her up but couldn't manage it,I had to ask him to help, he did but didn't like doing it. The trouble is what if they accuse you, on the other hand you don't want kids to think that you're rude and won't speak.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2010, 02:16 PM

Yes, its a difficult and sometimes awkard situation to be in when coming across children on their own, particularly for men I would think. It is a shame, because the majority of people are fine, but there is always the risk of a child coming across somebody who is not OK. However, I don't think innocent minded people should be put off helping a child if they need it, or if they want to talk, then I will happily chat to any child, although I would not make the first approach. Mind you, I find that most children, if they are on their own, don't say anything to strangers anyway.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2010, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Old git ->
And what sort of message did that leave?-dogs jump up? or at least a disappointed little girl?

The world has gone mad. What sort of messages are going out about the majority of us??
Unfortunately thats the way it's gone now, sadly the children will suffer in the long run, not being able to speak freely to other people, the loss of trust, and complete dependance on family members instructions and advice. Children are not fools, and as Aerolor points out, they won't talk to strangers anyway.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2010, 08:53 PM

Kids get mixed messages. When I was small among the many things I was taught was not to talk to strangers. But.... my Mom was a cheerful outgoing person and always struck up conversations on the bus or in the checkout lane with strangers....
val
Kent UK
val is female  val has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2010, 06:27 AM

It depends a lot on the community you live in. We've a skate park near where we walk the dogs and one of the dogs is always sniffing around there for food and the kids will always get him for me, especially if he jumps into the bowl. Also they will always say please and thank you when going by on their wheels, unlike a lot of adults. They also strike up a conversation about the dogs etc. So although the kids are very open and friendly here, as an adult its so difficult to know how to handle it, more so for the men I think.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top