Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2016, 03:18 AM

How little sleep can you survive on?

Sat here, bored so doing my books and listening to some music got me thinking, how much sleep do I get or actually need?

I've never been a big sleeper, except in my yoof, this was soon knocked out of me when I joined the military.

Anyway, now I get about 5 hours per day, on average.

I go to bed about 0230hrs and up for about 0700-0730 hrs.

This can vary, sometimes I'll be in bed for midnight but I'll still be up around 0530-0600hrs.

How much sleep do you get or need?
eyes_of_a_painter
n
eyes_of_a_painter is male  eyes_of_a_painter has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2016, 04:52 AM

Re: How little sleep can you survive on?

I get about 5 to 6 hours sleep. But, will say this, sleep is very important to the well functioning of our bodies. I saw an experiment conducted where a patient was deliberately deprived of sleep for about a week. Not only did his blood pressure increase, but worse of all, the patient became diabetic.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2016, 06:37 AM

As with most folk, some nights I sleep better than others but on average I get about 7 hours but I always have 30 minutes after lunch.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2016, 07:16 AM

Hi

I like to get a good 7 hours normally.

Unfortunately I am back working part time at the moment, the shift patterns are three nights, so very little sleep now, it takes a long time to reset my body clock.
Welshie
United Kingdom
Welshie is female  Welshie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2016, 07:42 AM

i need at least 6 hours but i'm usually a night owl and then have to get up at 6 to get ready for work so usually feel tired at work - to be a lady of leisure up late at night and then to have a lie in would be fab
i used to do night shift many years ago and survived on very little sleep in that period as found it difficult to sleep during the day
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2016, 09:25 AM

I usually have about 8 hours but if I get less some nights it doesnt bother me...I usually know when im becoming "ill" as my sleep becomes terrible and I dont sleep well at all then I know its time for me to do something about it.
I have no problems getting to sleep and would fall asleep on a linen line and if a bomb went off id probably not even stir
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2016, 09:31 AM

I try to get about 6 hours if possible. I go to bed about 9pm, and get up at 7.10am. Often I have wakeful hours during the night, but I just lie there, I don't get up.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2016, 09:32 AM

I have had 5 to 7 hours regularly but in what I call a split shift
I fall asleep for a few hours then wake up and put the radio on
and on a snooze button after an hour. I can only listen to talking
radio I cant stand music otherwise I would be singing all night.
I then wake up about 5 or 6am.
I did excel the other day after having hardly any sleep for days.
I went to bed at 10pm and slept without any radio break until
9am and that was a exceptional length of time for me but I did
feel the benefit of it as my head wasn't swimming anymore.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2016, 09:38 AM

About 6 hours is usual for me nowadays.
I function ok on it but sometimes I find myself nodding off in the evening while watching TV.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2016, 09:43 AM

They say as you get older you need less sleep. I aim for 6 hours but have survived with much less, 3 hours or so when working three or four jobs at a time .

I once got home from work at 8.30am and sat on the bench in the kitchen having a cup of coffee. The next thing I knew I woke up on the floor coffee all over me I had fallen asleep with the coffee in my hand and slid off the bench.
I found as long as I kept going I was fine but the moment I stopped a horrible tiredness took over but that did not mean being able to fall asleep, I think you can get 'too tired to sleep'.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top