Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2016, 02:58 AM

Embarrassed that I'd never heard of this man.

I'm embarrassed to say I'd never heard of this man, our Royal Navy's most decorated pilot and world record holder for flying the most different type of aircraft(487)and most aircraft carrier landings(2407)

He survived 11 plane crashes and one ship sinking.

He Interrogated some of the leading Nazis after the war, including Heinrich Himmler, Hermann Goering and Belsen's chief guards Josef Kramer and Irma Grese

Why do we, as a country, not celebrate our living pioneers and war veterans of this calibre?

Only when they pass are they mentioned and recognition given.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-35626854
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2016, 04:02 AM

Re: Embarrassed that I'd never heard of this man.

What a great man !
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2016, 08:48 AM

I agree Tpin they should be celebrated and recognised while still alive ...they have done some great and selfless deeds and we owe it to them to recognise this
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2016, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
What a great man !
Absolutely.

Originally Posted by Aysa ->
I agree Tpin they should be celebrated and recognised while still alive ...they have done some great and selfless deeds and we owe it to them to recognise this
I had the pleasure of bumping into two Chelsea Pensioners in a London pub.

I'd planned on a quick, cold pint on a sunny day, we ended up quite drunk after a few enjoyable hours.

Their accounts of their days in the army were hilarious, sad, proud but absolutely awe inspiring.

One of the best unplanned days I've ever had.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2016, 09:06 AM

And I bet they also enjoyed reliving their accounts of the days in the army.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2016, 09:06 AM

I agree too. I live near Wells where there was a huge fuss made of the last "Tommy", Harry Patch I thought it was a bit cruel putting him in the limelight in his last days. TV interviews, people writing books about him etc.all at the last minute.
It's good that brave men get recognition rather than being ignored but why wait until it's too late for them to know they were important.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2016, 10:57 AM

I too had never heard of him. I know one remaining WW2/Battle of Britain pilot. It`s not that he didn`t wish to talk about those days but he reckoned it was along time ago. When we met he was far more interested in cooking and the merits of different varieties of tomato.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2016, 11:06 AM

It must be quite worrying if people think you're a hero and you just think you were doing your job. I think sometimes the media hype people up because they're the only ones left.
Also they might just want to forget about the war.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2016, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
I'm embarrassed to say I'd never heard of this man, our Royal Navy's most decorated pilot and world record holder for flying the most different type of aircraft(487)and most aircraft carrier landings(2407)

He survived 11 plane crashes and one ship sinking.

He Interrogated some of the leading Nazis after the war, including Heinrich Himmler, Hermann Goering and Belsen's chief guards Josef Kramer and Irma Grese

Why do we, as a country, not celebrate our living pioneers and war veterans of this calibre?

Only when they pass are they mentioned and recognition given.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-35626854
Quite a man. I hadn't heard of him either.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2016, 11:39 AM

This gentleman was a true hero..did his job to the best of his abilities and more.

His nick name of winkle was because of his short stature but what a big man he truly was .

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top