Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
eyes_of_a_painter
n
eyes_of_a_painter is male  eyes_of_a_painter has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2016, 10:02 AM

Weird Art

Here in my city we have a yearly art festival that takes up several blocks. One can find all kinds of paintings, sculptures and weird so called artful stuff that makes one ask themselves, what was this guy thinking ?

I think many create weird artful stuff just to surround themselves with an aura of sophistication and maybe even, what some would venture to call, artful intellectuality. Like the photo of the weird statue below......

Who knows maybe I'm the weird one and don't really understand the true concept of art.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2016-02-21-03-49-57-1.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	358  
Cam
USA
Cam is female  Cam has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2016, 10:19 AM

Re: Weird Art

Found this blog entry which you may enjoy. ( I don't care for the statue you posted, btw )!

I KNOW WHAT I LIKE WHEN I SEE IT.

By Sandy Askey-Adams on 3/31/2015

One often hears the statement, " I don't know much about art, but I know what I like when I see it." A sentence I often hear at the outdoor art shows. It is a valid statement. It is subjective and in the eye of the beholder.

However, for the artist it isn't what he or she does, it is the way they do it that counts. And that helps when someone says, "I know what I like when I see it." For the viewer it has to be more than just another painting.

It has to do with the style, purpose and perception of the artist and how it is translated over to the viewer. The artist wants wonder to fill the heart of the viewer. To be captivated by the art work; to have to need it in their life.

The artist must be able to see shapes, textures, values, perspective, visual rhythm, harmony and to understand all of his or her emotions at one time. Those emotions must come through the painting.
The emotions have to be transferred into his or her work and onto the painting or drawing surface.
It is about looking within themselves to their feelings about the subject matter. The artist takes it beyond the technical and on into the emotional.

The viewer of that work only knows the work has stirred something up within their soul. They will most likely feel an emotional and intellectual response toward the painting.

The viewer might be reminded of something in their life, or see and feel peacefulness and joy. All they know is that they know what they like because it is stirring to them. That is what art is meant to be.
The color palette, the rhythm, the values, shapes, perspective is all there in the composition, but the viewer is not focusing on the artists creative approach and intent that was used in the painting. The viewer is seeing beauty and feeling the enjoyment that the painting gives him.
The artist has the desire to express, to translate, and wants the viewer to feel the enjoyment in that expression and appreciate the results of their work. A work of art can make a viewer feel emotion.

The emotional response can be powerful. So much so that they are absolutely sure that is the painting they want and need to have in their life. It speaks to them. It makes them feel good. The painting also encourages the viewer to look within to their own feelings. It brings their feelings to the surface.

The key to success is originality and quality of work. The same subject can be painted over and over again by different artists, but remember, it is how the artist presents his or her originality and quality in doing that subject. So, if you as the artist wants the viewer of your work to seize your work because they know what they like when they see it, then that lies with you, the artist.

Cam
eyes_of_a_painter
n
eyes_of_a_painter is male  eyes_of_a_painter has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2016, 10:28 AM

Very.. very good. That explains quite well whats in the head of the artist. But, I still wonder, what was in the head of this artist who became so creative with the sun ???

Name:	Screenshot_2016-02-21-04-22-43-1.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	359  
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2016, 10:30 AM

Does it really matter whats in the artists head when he does his work? Just that he creates what he imagines and is happy with it...
eyes_of_a_painter
n

21-02-2016, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Aysa ->
Does it really matter whats in the artists head when he does his work? Just that he creates what he imagines and is happy with it...
Thats a very good responds.. " that he is happy with it "
Sort of like this work from a popular artist in my city. He is quite happy with the sculptures he creates and others seem to think so too.

Name:	Screenshot_2016-02-21-04-31-36-1.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	360  
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2016, 10:41 AM

I like that Rudolpho...
I often think some Art is like the emporers new clothes and people will pretend they like it because its the "done" thing ....I cant abide this sort of nonsense. If I like something I like it....if I dont then nothing will change my mind
eyes_of_a_painter
n

21-02-2016, 10:49 AM

Talking about " like " here is an artful concept done by a popular Brazilian painter in my city. His art is basically the same. Done in different colors and cartoonish. The city has contracted him to do painting for several public buildings.. Beauty does lie in the eye of the beholder..

Name:	Screenshot_2016-02-21-04-42-23-1.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	362  
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2016, 10:53 AM

Considering your avatar im a bit surprised Eyes, you do look at the world with a good observational slant on things.

Mind you i love experimental music, and cant understand the product that is passed off today.
eyes_of_a_painter
n

21-02-2016, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Considering your avatar im a bit surprised Eyes, you do look at the world with a good observational slant on things.

Mind you i love experimental music, and cant understand the product that is passed off today.
Ah yes..my avatar, the great Salvador Dali. I visited his museum in Barcelona and I am a great admirer of his traditional work. Yet Dali was smart, he knew that as a artist he needed to stand out and be different. Thus for this crazy moustache, the cane he carried with him at all tines and the gentleman's cape he wore while walking down the streets of old Madrid. Below is a collection of Dali's work...

Name:	Screenshot_2016-02-21-04-59-50-1.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	363  
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2016, 11:25 AM

When I look at some things, like for instance a piece of cloth draped in a certain way, a rusty decaying object or perhaps a shadow on the pavement. I often take a photo, some things are just beautiful and need to be noticed.
I think in some people's minds they find excitement and beauty in shapes and forms that's others can't see. Sometimes they can also be disturbing. They need to represent their emotions by creating images and forms, possibly hoping others will see what they see.
That's my opinion anyway.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top