Join for free
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2010, 09:06 AM

Beaurocrocracy or Big Brother?

Following the death of my son, who was on Disability Living Allowance, I notified all authorities and closed his bank acct. etc.
I received a letter from the DLA people asking for more information. They wanted names of the executors of any will, next of kin and whoever arranged the funeral.
For each person they also wanted:
address and phone no.
date of birth
National Insurance number
bank account details - sort code and account number.

I phoned them up and queried it and they said it was `in case any money was still owing, so they could pay it direct`.
Yeah? And they need my date of birth for that?
I said there was no money owed (there wasn`t and he checked it) and that I was not going to send my bank account details to anybody. He replied `well I can take them over the phone!`.
After a good laugh I told him they could forget it.

What do you think? Is there a motive for this or are they just being beaurocratic?
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2010, 10:32 AM

Re: Beaurocrocracy or Big Brother?

Originally Posted by claireandaisy ->
Following the death of my son, who was on Disability Living Allowance, I notified all authorities and closed his bank acct. etc.
I received a letter from the DLA people asking for more information. They wanted names of the executors of any will, next of kin and whoever arranged the funeral.
For each person they also wanted:
address and phone no.
date of birth
National Insurance number
bank account details - sort code and account number.

I phoned them up and queried it and they said it was `in case any money was still owing, so they could pay it direct`.
Yeah? And they need my date of birth for that?
I said there was no money owed (there wasn`t and he checked it) and that I was not going to send my bank account details to anybody. He replied `well I can take them over the phone!`.
After a good laugh I told him they could forget it.

What do you think? Is there a motive for this or are they just being beaurocratic?
Sorry for your loss Clare and Daisy. It is incredible how much there is to do when somebody dies and some of it does seem bureaucratic, partiularly with anything to do with monies. I acted as executor when my mum died and decided to do the probate myself. Whoever my mum had been involved with wanted the same information as you have mentioned and so it must be standard practice and I don't think there is any motive, other than to make sure things are closed properly. Unfortunately, all this comes at a time when people are grieving and least want it. Like you I was concerned about giving information about bank accounts etc., but thinking about your situation, if your son was on dis.benefit they should have all his details anyway It must be purely for confirmation, so that they are satisfied that there are no outstanding bits and pieces to tidy up. Don't let it get you down and if you need it ask for somebody to help you. Best wishes.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2010, 12:25 PM

Does seem odd Claire - why not just ask for the details _if_ and when they actually need them! :-/
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2010, 02:21 PM

Exactly - especially asking me for the bank account details of other people - bit dodgy that!
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2010, 02:45 PM

I suspect it`s just rules and codes-not that they actually make sense.

But when I joined the civil service some 30 years ago there was a thought;;

Difficult subject?-ask for more information and hope the answer comes back in someone else`s in tray.

You think I make this rubbish up?
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2010, 07:00 PM

I do hope that you are coming to terms with your sad loss, C & D, all this upset though won't help you much.

Write in and ask them exactly why they need all that information from you and ask for it to be detailed in a written response - not just a few words.

I didn't have that problem when my elderly friend died a few years ago. I took to do with all her business as she had alzheimers. I got her pension under my name and when she had been hospitalised, I contacted the DSS and they continued to pay it for the required time and then she sadly died. I informed the DSS and sent in all the necessary paperwork. The following week, I received a week's payment with an accompanying letter telling me that was what they owed her!! I contacted them and told them she had died and that they knew that but they insisted it was all in order. I put it to charity.

I do hope you get it all sorted out, it is so upsetting when this happens.

Take care.
claireandaisy
Essex

31-05-2010, 07:41 PM

I`m OK most of the time - I have a little weep now and again though because I miss him. But he was such a lovely man, his memory makes me smile.
The Carers allowance people sent me a nice letter, gently saying sorry he`d gone and that they could pay me 8 weeks further allowance if I supplied a death certificate. I sent it to them because after such a nice letter it seemed churlish to point out that I was only getting £1.60 a week from them so I could probably manage without it.
But the demand for my bank details, NI number and date of birth threw me. It`s fairly obvious they are cross-referencing to prevent fraud, but it was such a clumsy way to do it.
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2010, 09:30 PM

It is good for you to have a wee weep now and again and so understandable but good that you can smile at all the good times you had wth him. Time is the healer and the hurt will pass. It did for me.

The DSS chase after all the wrong people and don't go after the ones they should go after.

I do hope it all turns out OK for you and I think they should apologise to you.

Take care.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top