Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2016, 01:12 PM

Do you read threads that start with just a link?

If a poster starts a thread by just posting a link, with no comment or indication as to what it is (be it words or photos/videos) do you look at the link?
I hardly ever do. Not entirely sure why, but I guess I just feel uninterested if there is no information in the post.
Sometimes I can tell from the link wording itself that I DON'T want to click on it anyway (animal cruelty comes to mind), but if it's just an unintelligible link I move on.
Mods apart ( I guess you have to!) what do others do?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2016, 01:19 PM

Re: Do you read threads that start with just a link?

Depends who posted it some I trust some I wouldn't touch with a barge pole.
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2016, 01:22 PM

Almost always ignore.
I'm a bit apprehensive about what an unexplained link might bring up and I think it's kinda lazy not to put an explanation of some sort
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2016, 01:22 PM

I usually can't be bothered. I prefer people to give some idea of what they are about first.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2016, 01:23 PM

I rarely read unsupported links
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2016, 01:27 PM

I very rarely bother to click a post with just a link and no information as to what is in the link,I think its a very "sloppy" style of posting a thread. I myself quite often post a link in my threads to begin with ,BUT I do usually let people know some information about what my post is all about

I must say it really disappoints me when I see just a link,I think the poster obviously cant be bothered to just write a little about what their thread is about.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2016, 01:32 PM

No - I want to know what the thread is about and what the poster thinks too
Just a link tells me nothing and if they can't be bothered - neither can I
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2016, 01:34 PM

These kind of posts are one of my pet dislikes.
If the poster can't be bothered to give a brief summary about the link - I can't be bothered to look at it!
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2016, 01:37 PM

All a bit harsh and enough to put posters off being so critical. We all post differently and some are able to use words better than others.

Some of the funniest and longest threads have been created by the use of just one word

Longs people contribute, should their style matter that much.!
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2016, 01:42 PM

I don't think I am criticising 'style' of posting, solo. More like describing my own approaches/responses to a type of post which consists solely of a link, and asking others how they respond.
And I don't think posts consisting of one word are comparable - one word can say or stimulate a lot of posting. At least a word means something, whereas a link does not.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top