Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2016, 07:55 PM

Dynamo...Best Magician?

I really enjoy watching magicians and seeing the entertainers and performers that they can be...Dynamo is a favourite of mine apart from the flamboyant American Illusionist David Copperfield.
Who is your favourite magician if you have one ? Or perhaps you dont like the whole concept of the "magician"?

Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2016, 08:15 PM

Re: Dynamo...Best Magician?

Forgive me Aysa this one time, but I'm afraid Dynamo is one of the very worst magicians out there.

He breaks most of the cardinal rules of magic routinely.

He uses camera trickery constantly in his TV shows. Mostly that means your viewing shot of what is going on, is frequently either removed or replaced by another shot where you can not see the "switch" or other key element that is going on. It's an appalling thing to do for any magician.

The other thing he does, much like Blaine does, is use cheap magic shop gimmicks. These are cheap props that anyone can buy freely to perform simple tricks. Anyone with even a modest interest in magic knows most of those gimmicks and how they work.

Just like Blaine, I too could, for example place a crumpled bank note in my upturned palm and make it magically rise up into the air and pass it through a metal hoop. The gimmick for that costs about £5-£10.

I find also that Dynamo's presentation is bereft of life and imagination. He is a Blaine wannabe who will neverbe.

Penn and Teller for me, are the consummate magicians, fusing well established magic techniques with an unparalleled performance which is thoroughly entertaining.

There are of course others. Paul Daniels "Chop Cup" routine in the 80s remains a stellar performance of well known trick. Despite knowing his every move, that knowledge does not take away anything from the blistering performance.

If you have never seen it I recommend you watch this outstanding routine from Teller :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPoTWioLAoo

The trick is so simple yet so elegant. Honed from hours and hours of practice but delivered so beautifully and flawlessly.

I could go on, for there are plenty of great magicians, but the likes of Dynamo and Troy and sadly just embarrassments.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2016, 08:21 PM

Realist ...I think Penn and Teller are extremely good too ,I enjoy watching these two a lot as well
And yes I shall forgive you "just this once" lol
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2016, 08:23 PM

That's because he's an illusionist.

I enjoy his illusions and fresh, down to earth approach.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK

17-02-2016, 08:32 PM

Thanks Terry I enjoy watching him and he entertains me thats all that matters really to me.
There are so many magicians out there and I just think they put their own spin on the tricks ...I love watching illusions I know theyre all fakery but its the performance I enjoy
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2016, 08:42 PM

That's the whole idea and if it floats your boat then it's job done.
I dislike magicians, they're boring and do absolutely for me, that's just my opinion.

Like you say it's fake but great entertainment. I cannot see how it's all camera wizardry when it's done in the open amongst close quarter spectators.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2016, 11:34 PM

Here's a typical example of how awful Dynamo is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpiMm8_895g

You may remember it from the TV series. It's awful on 2 counts. Firstly it is stooged and secondly the camera manipulation ensures you can't see what is actually going on. If you were stood there you would not be fooled. The need to use camera trickery as a crutch is the very definition of a terrible magician.

So let's first explain this trick. Basically Dynamo is going to pretend to push his hand through solid glass to retrieve a bracelet for the stooge Kymberly Wyatt.

She is asked to choose ANYTHING from the shop but she naturally HAS to pick this item because that's the item inside the pre-prepared glass counter. She is therefore just a stooge. Another definite No No in the world of magic.

Note how the glass counter looks. It sits between 2 taller glass units. The trick is really simple. The flat glass counter slides into the taller glass unit. When you first see it, the hole in the glass is beneath the leather pad resting on the counter. What then happens is the entire glass counter slides across so that the hole becomes visible but Dynamo shields it with his left arm.

Now had the camera dutifully stayed in place throughout to give the viewer a fair viewing angle, you would doubtless see the glass counter moving. It is obviously polished to perfection to prevent any blemishes giving the movement away but even so, the trick is obviously crap because the camera just switches to some arbitrary shots of other people and then suddenly switches back to Dynamo who now already has his left arm in place covering the hole. So as a viewer you never got to see the transition of the glass.

It's a spectacularly awful illusion that is so bad that it requires a stooge and camera trickery to succeed. That, I am afraid to say, is the measure of most of Dynamo's work.

Here's a good clip of Penn Gilette talking about the camera trickery of people like Chris Angel and Dynamo. He is 100% right in what he says.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9s9smBP04Pc
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK

17-02-2016, 11:56 PM

The pleasure for me is not to analyse, but to see it for what it is.....an illusion.

If I did this for every house renovation programme or war film I'd never watch one.

Let's be honest, magic doesn't exist.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

18-02-2016, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
The pleasure for me is not to analyse, but to see it for what it is.....an illusion.
But the problem is that it ISN'T an illusion. It could not appear as such in real life. We already know that on TV you can make a man instantaneously disappear from one spot and reappear in another. We understand that. We don't deem it to be an illusion, we know it is just camera trickery.
We see superman seeming to fly and in star wars we see space ships firing lasers. We know it is just camera work.

If there was a program made up of just such camera trickery we wouldn't pay it much attention and we most certainly would never entertain the idea that it was magic or an illusion.

Yet Dynamo does exactly this over and over and over and seems to get masses of the public thinking he is an illusionist. He just isn't. He is a fake of the worst kind. If he were to present his program as 30 mins of camera special effects things would be different. Sadly he calls it "Magician Impossible". The is no magic, there are no tricks, no illusions, just camera work and editing. Very poor.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK

18-02-2016, 12:11 AM

How do you explain the audience?

Before you say they're all in on the trick, they aren't.
A pal of mine works close protection to some of the celebrities and he was a witness to one of these illusions, it blew him away.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top