Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2016, 11:07 AM

Grandparents

Just reading a few posts on the Occupations in the past thread and it seems a few of us never knew our Grandparents.

I do wonder what my life might have been if i had met mine, always felt i might have had a bolt hole to go too when things were going hard.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2016, 11:11 AM

Re: Grandparents

Never knew mine either. Too busy building empires and by the time they remembered who I was it was too late for any relationship. What I had never had I never missed.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2016, 11:12 AM

I knew my Grandparents but never 'knew' them - A BIG regret .........
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2016, 11:14 AM

That's the beauty of grandparents, another point of view.
My gran on my dad's side was my pal as well, she had such a calming way about her.

From an early age(5?) I stayed with her every Friday night(mum & dad's night out)and looked forward to it.

I think grandparents can have an important part in the growth of children, I know mine did.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2016, 11:15 AM

So sad Solo / Patsy, when i first met my wife her Grandmothers were still alive, two very different characters and it was then i started to think about what i may have missed out on.
Lila
London UK
Lila is female  Lila has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2016, 11:23 AM

I knew my mother's parents very well, but still wish I'd known them better. I still miss them.

My father's father died before I was born, and I never met my father's mother, but still wish I'd known them.

No, they wouldn't have been a "bolt hole".
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2016, 11:24 AM

I never met my maternal Grandparents, I know they had a hard life farming in the hills and lost two young children one to meningitis another with diphtheria .

My paternal Grandmother died the same week as my Mother both with cerebral hemorrhage, Poor Dad
I always called my Grandmother's sister (my great Aunt) my Nanna, she looked after me when I was a baby.
I remember my Paternal Grandfather very well, he came to live with us and had the front room to himself . He was a quiet rather surly man who had been badly gassed in the war.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2016, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
So sad Solo / Patsy, when i first met my wife her Grandmothers were still alive, two very different characters and it was then i started to think about what i may have missed out on.
I don't think I missed out Nom. My Grandmother paid for time she didn't spend with me. Lavish costly guilt gifts that meant little.

She taught me a life lesson I never forgot and which oddly enough didn't cost her a penny.

Now my pint sized pipe smoking shillelagh wielding granny on the other (unmentionable) side..I would love to have known..
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2016, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Just reading a few posts on the Occupations in the past thread and it seems a few of us never knew our Grandparents.

I do wonder what my life might have been if i had met mine, always felt i might have had a bolt hole to go too when things were going hard.
Not only did I never know my grandparents....I never knew my parents either !
They were both orphans and both of them had died by the time I was fourteen.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2016, 11:37 AM

I knew both my grandmothers, but my grandfathers died before I was born in 1950. I also knew my father's maternal grandmother. She was a lovely old lady, goodness knows how she came to have an evil b*tch of a daughter whom I detested. I was very fond of my Mother's mother.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top