Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
eyes_of_a_painter
n
eyes_of_a_painter is male  eyes_of_a_painter has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2016, 04:18 PM

Whats that Smell ???

The sense of smell can waken many areas in our brain. According to what we smell, this sense can open up our appetite, our need for sex and most remarkable, lost memories.

I have travelled through a small town in Italy and the smell in the environment awakened thoughts of my grandmother. Whats even more confusing, I have smelled odors that brought about visions in my mind of a remote past that I was never aware of..

I have read that our cells have a memory of their own. Which in a way is true. Since the cells in our bodies fight against invading viruses that threaten our health. This idea also says, that our cells inherit the memory of the cells of our gran parents and great great gran parents. So if we are in a part of the world that our ancestors lived, its possible that a certain smell can awaken a distant time.

Just a thought on what smells, how it smells and if that smell awakens an area in your brain.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2016, 04:20 PM

Re: Whats that Smell ???

I remember the smell of my grandmothers house .
How we loved going there as children it was so exciting.
eyes_of_a_painter
n
eyes_of_a_painter is male  eyes_of_a_painter has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2016, 04:27 PM

Those are good memories...

There is a woman that was very special in my life. There is a perfume that always brings her to mind
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2016, 04:29 PM

The sense of smell is very important I agree, Rodolfo.
And as you say, it can bring back tons of memories, good and bad. My 'hooter' is still very good I am pleased to say, I often reckon I must have been a sniffer dog in a past life.

Talking of dogs, look at the wonderful detection dogs who can sniff out cancers and other illnesses, or find bodies even under deep water, snow, or rubble.

Getting back to us again though, some people try to hold onto smells of dearly departed loved ones as a comfort, while other smells like certain perfumes can make some feel quite light-headed and nauseaus.
Smells can either make us ravenous, or put us off our food, too. It's a funny old sense, and much taken for granted I think.
eyes_of_a_painter
n

14-02-2016, 04:33 PM

I read that those people who are void of this sende live very confusing lives
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2016, 04:40 PM

I don't associate a sense of smell with any person. I like the smell of herbs and certain perfumes.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2016, 04:41 PM

Dettol, the midwife arriving when my mother had a miscarriage.
Jeyes Fluid, being washed in the sink as a child with it!
The most wonderful smell of the meadow and wild flowers where we played safely all day when I was a child.
The smell of the vets and my dogs instantly shivering at their first wiff of it.
I can still remember the smell of my mother, Coty face powder and later, the horrible Avon Honeysuckle perfume!!
My grandmother gently kissing me and getting the whiff of ....Ponds cream, (not wee!)
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2016, 04:44 PM

You Mum washed you in Jeyes Fuid ?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2016, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Dettol, the midwife arriving when my mother had a miscarriage.
Jeyes Fluid, being washed in the sink as a child with it!
The most wonderful smell of the meadow and wild flowers where we played safely all day when I was a child.
The smell of the vets and my dogs instantly shivering at their first wiff of it.
I can still remember the smell of my mother, Coty face powder and later, the horrible Avon Honeysuckle perfume!!
My grandmother gently kissing me and getting the whiff of ....Ponds cream, (not wee!)

I hope you've given that idea up now Arty.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2016, 04:48 PM

As a kid,I remember my younger sister falling head first into a tub of Jeyes fluid used for washing wellies before entering the glasshouses! We had been scrambling up peat bales at the time, and she was being a pain, I probably pushed her off, WHOOPS! She was blind for about two days, poor girl.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top