Join for free
Malc.27
Pembroke U.K.
Malc.27 is male  Malc.27 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2016, 07:55 PM

Valentines day 1963

(Well to be truthful Feb 13th 1963...)
I received a 'card' in the post...(2nd delivery of the day).
I recognised the handwriting - my girlfriend - We had been going out since the previous October... I was 18, she was 15...
So, when I met with her that evening, as we walked down the road, I thanked her for my Valentine card. She stopped and looked at me seriously, and said, "You won't have got MY card yet, I only posted it this morning!"
I then explained that I recognised her handwriting and I also described the card in detail... She was fine, then - her lovely smile returned ...
She had posted it in our local post box on her way out just before the 'collection' and it was returned to me in the second delivery on that same day - 13th Feb.
We were together for a year in total - then i got the 'elbow' (with an 'apology') she just wanted to 'move on'...
We remain friends with Christmas cards back and forth...
We are both happily married to our respective 'other halves'
and it will stay that way.

Fond recollections from all those years ago!
(...and a more reliable postal service back then!)
Malc.
Gianetta
US
Gianetta is female  Gianetta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2016, 09:11 PM

Re: Valentines day 1963

Aww...Malc - that is such a sweet story..... SO YOUNG you both were! Yes, I suppose fond recollection of those many year ago for you on each Valentine Day.... (or the 13th) .... I am sure! Thanks for share it to us...I love those kind of story.
From Gia
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2016, 09:40 AM

Nice memory there Malc
Malc.27
Pembroke U.K.
Malc.27 is male  Malc.27 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2016, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Nice memory there Malc
Thank you, Patsy...I do look back fondly on my teenage years,(especially 1963)...
I suppose that we all have those moments.

I think that my 'subject matter' may have been confusing, I may need to add more information to clarify it...

Thank you for your reply.

Malc.
Malc.27
Pembroke U.K.

14-02-2016, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Gianetta ->
Aww...Malc - that is such a sweet story..... SO YOUNG you both were! Yes, I suppose fond recollection of those many year ago for you on each Valentine Day.... (or the 13th) .... I am sure! Thanks for share it to us...I love those kind of story.
From Gia
Many thanks for your reply, Gia... Happy Valentines day!

Malc.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2016, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Malc.27 ->
Thank you, Patsy...I do look back fondly on my teenage years,(especially 1963)...
I suppose that we all have those moments.

I think that my 'subject matter' may have been confusing, I may need to add more information to clarify it...

Thank you for your reply.

Malc.
I recall that postal service too - those were the days - efficiency
My first love was an older boy, I was 13 he 16 and working
Not 'love' as such for me, he was a lovely boy and definitely smitten. I used to stand on the balcony and watch him stride into the courtyard from work, he always whistled this song
'You don't know' Helen Shapiro, every time I hear it, I think of him, but I was much too young ...............
Malc.27
Pembroke U.K.

14-02-2016, 05:30 PM

Hi again, I may have given the impression that the 'friendship' continued from the 1963 era...There were, of course, many years when we created our own lives with marriage/children/work etc. with no knowledge of each others whereabouts.
However one day (about 25 years ago) when I was back visiting the area, I called at the house where her parents lived, (not knowing if her mum still lived there).... Her mum answered the door and i explained who I was, she invited me in - we chatted for a while over a cup of tea and I left a business card with her...
Several months later we had a Christmas card from J & R with their contact details. We forwarded one to them and the pattern has continued each year since.
There's a mutual respect in our friendship. (nothing else)...

Malc.
Malc.27
Pembroke U.K.

14-02-2016, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
I recall that postal service too - those were the days - efficiency
My first love was an older boy, I was 13 he 16 and working
Not 'love' as such for me, he was a lovely boy and definitely smitten. I used to stand on the balcony and watch him stride into the courtyard from work, he always whistled this song
'You don't know' Helen Shapiro, every time I hear it, I think of him, but I was much too young ...............
That would be this one, I love that song!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXHJmQoq5To

No one can take our memories from us!

Regards, Malc.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

14-02-2016, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Malc.27 ->
Hi again, I may have given the impression that the 'friendship' continued from the 1963 era...There were, of course, many years when we created our own lives with marriage/children/work etc. with no knowledge of each others whereabouts.
However one day (about 25 years ago) when I was back visiting the area, I called at the house where her parents lived, (not knowing if her mum still lived there).... Her mum answered the door and i explained who I was, she invited me in - we chatted for a while over a cup of tea and I left a business card with her...
Several months later we had a Christmas card from J & R with their contact details. We forwarded one to them and the pattern has continued each year since.
There's a mutual respect in our friendship. (nothing else)...

Malc.
Its a great story and lovely that you keep in touch
We often think of those old friendships and wonder how they are today

Yes - that's the song, its lovely, especially when whistled

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top