Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Old Supporter
Bedfordshire UK
Old Supporter is male  Old Supporter has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2016, 09:27 AM

Proposed Syria Ceasefire

I listened to the proposal on the early morning news. This is supposed to be effective in one weeks time. But if the West is still going to bomb ISIS, and the Russians carry on bombing anyone who opposes Assad, what is likely to change?.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2016, 09:35 AM

Re: Proposed Syria Ceasefire

I have just been listening on the radio, there is a lot of political posturing and manoeuvring going on .
I think the removal of Assad as a goal has been quietly forgotten.
The main objective for some (but not all) is to break the sieges and stem the flow of refugees.

I think any change will be very slow and only achieved when some countries/groups see themselves in an advantageous position.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2016, 11:37 AM

Well all we can do is pray that any form of a ceasefire will help those poor Syrian people. It's got to be an improvement on the constant hell they are going through at present.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2016, 04:35 PM

It sounds like a complete mess according to the lunch time news with Russia and Assad singing from a different hymn sheet to the rest of us .

Russia it seems want to wait awhile before any ceasefire comes into force giving them time to continue bombing all opposition to Assad including the 'moderates' because they see anyone who opposes Assad as 'terrorists' .

Our lot want the ceasefire now (except for continuing to fight against ISIS and their supporting groups who are in a different area of Syria to the moderates) because we see the moderates as future leaders in any coalition following the demise of Assad.

Meanwhile people continue to die and others to flee and I am heartily sick of a large section of human kind ...
moreover
North Wales, UK
moreover is female  moreover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2016, 06:04 PM

It's a first step in the right direction. Wars are never stopped in one day. Peace is an ongoing series of give and take negotiations.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2016, 06:47 PM

The ceasefire will soon be meaningless... too much like closing the stable door after the horse has bolted.

What is their actual objective? The Syrian civil war or defeating ISIS? And which would they have us, the populace, believe?
Some world leaders are just running around like headless chickens.

Yesterday the Saudis confirmed that they will be sending ground troops into Syria .. without permission from Assad.
Sounds feasible if they're after ISIS but they also want to topple Assad.

Not many decades ago when Saddam invaded Kuwait the West ran to expel them.
Only this time no one will because no one likes Assad. Except Russia and Iran, and meanwhile thanks to an upturn in his fortunes and recent battle success Assad has said he aims to take back the whole of Syria.

This war in Syria, once a civil war, now has the makings of WW3.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2016, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
This war in Syria, once a civil war, now has the makings of WW3.
Only if we get involved. We need to keep our noses out and let them get on with killing each other.

Surely, past experience has told us that the occupants of the Middle East have always fought and killed each other and always will, whatever we try to do.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2016, 05:03 PM

There have been two car bombs today killing civilians so peace proposals have not made much impression to date.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2016, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Old Supporter ->
I listened to the proposal on the early morning news. This is supposed to be effective in one weeks time. But if the West is still going to bomb ISIS, and the Russians carry on bombing anyone who opposes Assad, what is likely to change?.
I won't hold my breath!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top