Join for free
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2016, 08:53 AM

Leap year.

Been having a gander at the topic of Leap Year, a dangerous time of year for us blokes, seems there are some rules though.

In Greece, getting married in a leap year is considered inauspicious, and the relationship is thought likely to end in divorce.

Women in Finland are advised to propose only on leap-year day -- Feb. 29 -- for good luck. If her boyfriend should refuse, he is required to pay her a "fine": enough fabric to make a skirt.

In Scotland, an unmarried Queen Margaret allegedly enacted a law in 1288 allowing women to propose on leap-year day. But there was a catch: The proposer had to wear a red petticoat (a skirt under her skirt) to warn her intended that she planned to pop the question.

Perhaps the most well-known of the leap-year marriage superstitions belongs to Ireland, where, again, women are advised to propose only on Feb. 29 for good luck. (Anyone remember the 2010 film, "Leap Year"?)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1305525.html
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2016, 09:02 AM

Re: Leap year.

Well! I need a new skirt to wear my red underskirt with!
Can't blame a girl for trying.... several times probably!
Look out on the 29th you singletons!
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2016, 09:05 AM

Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland

09-02-2016, 09:08 AM

swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2016, 09:22 AM

Hi

Well I have already received a proposal of marriage this year from a young blonde as it happens.

She wants me to marry her grandmother because she does not like her grandfather.

I would be a much better grandfather because I give her ice cream and do magic tricks.

Life is so simple when you are little.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2016, 09:28 AM

Good plan!
I wonder what a "ticket of leave" is.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland

09-02-2016, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Good plan!
I wonder what a "ticket of leave" is.
Did wonder myself so googled it.

Australia

The ticket system was first introduced by Governor Philip Gidley King in 1801. It officially began in 1853 when prisoners transported from the United Kingdom to Australia, and subsequently other colonies, who had served a period of probation—and shown by their good behaviour that they could be allowed certain freedoms—were awarded the ticket of leave. Once granted, a convict was permitted to seek employment within a specified district, but could not leave the district without the permission of the government or the district's resident magistrate. Each change of employer or district was recorded on the ticket.The convicts had to do jobs to get money to get a ticket of leave. [1]
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

09-02-2016, 10:40 AM

I wondered where Cameron got his ideas from! Bit like a tag then!
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2016, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Anyone remember the 2010 film, "Leap Year"?
Yep seen it a few times on TV
First time I saw it I thought the guy was very much like my man (attitude) and I laughed most of the way through it

The ending lets it down ... too sloppy

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top