Sentenced to 10 years
Do you know more about Thomas Haines?
Contribute to this record
Thomas Haines
Thomas Haines, one of 276 convicts transported on the Asia, 25 April 1840
Known aliases:
none
Convicted at:
Convicted at Gloucester Quarter Sessions for a term of 10 years.
Sentence term:
10 years
Ship name:
Asia
Departure date:
25th April, 1840
Place of arrival:
Van Diemen's Land
Source:
Australian Joint Copying Project. Microfilm Roll 91, Class and Piece Number HO11/12, Page Number 186
This record is one of the entries in the British convict transportation registers 1787-1867 database compiled by State Library of Queensland from British Home Office (HO) records which are available on microfilm as part of the Australian Joint Copying Project.
Ole Simmo 1939
Baldivis Western Australia
Ole Simmo 1939 is male 

08-02-2016, 01:56 PM

Re: convict ancester

Hi again just a little bit of family history on mums side ,a friend of a friend was good enough to research our family's past & as I have always suspected that there were a few criminals in our family, this instance goes back to the 1840's but we have another record of another family member being taken to our part of the world Fremantle where he helped to build Fremantle prison.
Strangely enough one of my jobs was at this prison as a trainee prison guard, It involved standing in a turrent on a wall with a loaded gun as company for up to 12 hours at a time. The wages at that time were about $30 a week plus a bit of overtime, it would have to have been the most boring job ever. I actually did a runner after a few weeks leaving my uniform on the front gates of the prison because the ruling was that you had to give 3 months notice. The result was that I got a job labouring at a place called Mt Newman,900 miles up & 300 miles inland,you were flown up in an old Dakota plane & had to stay for six months before you qualified for a free trip back to Perth.I will always remember that flight on a really old twin prop Dakota.
All food etc was supplied & we lived under camp conditions. For myself it was a real eye opener. For my good lady Patricia she had to manage everything...more to come time for coffee & cool down
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2016, 02:20 PM

Re: convict ancester

That is really interesting Simmo reading this

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top