Join for free
Ole Simmo 1939
Baldivis Western Australia
Ole Simmo 1939 is male 

08-02-2016, 09:19 AM

The Simmo's early life in OZ

Hi Folks,many thanks for your feedback on my rambling's,much appreciated,i do actually let Patricia have a peek at them before i post them on the forum because her memory picks up any detail i may have missed or got wrong so between the two of us it is a fairly accurate description of the events that happened all those years ago which jogs ole Simmo's memory of another little incident which occurred..(.here we go again.. .this was just a little incident which springs to mind from the early years..We had recently moved into our second home since arriving in 1968 because of my away work" up bush" we had managed to get a deposit for our very own home which was situated in a fairly new area of Perth,being a brand new home it was in an area which was still in the thro's of being developed,we were about 100 metres from a river tributary which was basicly in bushland,we were one of the first few houses in the street which meant that most of the land adjoining us was vacant bushland as well,(i had better mention that when we normally talk about the house it does in most cases mean a detached house which is the norm over here)we had no fences & no gardens at that stage.On this particular day we were all sat outside around the back of the house when we heard a squeal of a braking car from the road in the front of the property & our first reaction was to check that all the kids were present even though it was basicly an unused street because of the number of vacant blocks of land that were for sale.OK... all the kids present & correct..no worries..next thing we hear a couple of minutes later is the sound of a gun going off out the front of the house so i made my way down to the road to check it out as its not the usual thing that happens.On getting down there i saw a neighbour who lived a bit further up the street standing at the bottom of our property & i was surprised to see him holding some type of rifle or shotgun & about 3 or 4 metres away on our property was probably at that time the biggest King brown snake i had ever seen since arriving in Aussie,the bloke was a bit shook up as he told me that he spotted the snake heading up to our place while he was driving up the road he skidded on it which usually breaks the skin of the snake & slows them down or kills them but this one was having none of it so the fella then raced home grabbed a gun & came back & blasted it which not only didn't kill it it just made it even more aggressive,it was lunging at everything even to the point of biting itself & being over 2 metres long it made it quite difficult to get anywhere near it,i resorted to getting my axe which had a long handle on it & after a couple of hacks at i managed to lop its head off,i will always remember the sight of the head still biting as it rolled over the ground,on picking it up to let the kids have a look at it i can still remember that the tail was still on the ground even though i was holding it above my head,i think Patricia at that stage was still behind closed doors in the house.The message we wanted to get over to the kids was ...don't go down the river to play which is what they used to do,making cubbies etc,the warning probably only kept them away for a couple of weeks & then they would be back down there as before..sorry to have got a bit sidetracked there but i am likely to forget a lot of the happenings if i don't put them down as i think about them..it must be an age thing..anyway mate its a bit more to look at on the forum if nothing else..best wishes to you & yours..as well as all the forum members i do have a very unusual rambling coming up soon....Simmo

ps...The above post of which may be of some interest to members was done a few years ago by myself while on a music forum I was a part of, all of it is as close to what I remember from many years ago about some experiences of our early life in Australia.
many thanks Simmo ( the ole fella from downunder)
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2016, 10:57 AM

Re: The Simmo's early life in OZ

Very interesting Simmo. Shame they have to be killed but
with the deaths from their venom permanent then I suppose
I would have done the same even though I don't like killing anything
even flies.

I do have some slugs in my garden which I feed some lettice to
but otherwise we don't have to worry about snakes in our back
garden.

Glad you were all OK. Sounds a very peaceful place there. Take care.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2016, 11:04 AM

What an experience. It makes our annual summer invasion of ants look puny.
Ole Simmo 1939
Baldivis Western Australia
Ole Simmo 1939 is male 

09-02-2016, 09:11 AM

Hi Alan ,yes I can remember the swarms of ants as well, did they come out during the warm weather only or was it just a certain time of year they went rampart, if my memory serves me correct was there one species that had a lighter colour & used to give a bit of a sting if they bit you ??
Simmo

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top