Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
PPHammer
Yorkshire, UK
PPHammer is male  PPHammer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2010, 07:57 PM

What is a community?

Is it somewhere where you feel safe? Somewhere where people trust each other and watch out for each other? Where people share their things?

I thought allotments were such places. Diverse people coming together to help each other and share knowledge.

I feel so disappointed and angry that someone has let themselves into my shed and stolen my electric screw driver and case. I suspect it is the bigot that has made our new Asian lady feel so uncomfortable she doesn't want to come again. He thinks he owns the whole place and is a loud mouth. I also believe it was him that stripped the whole of the communal orchard bare before the fruit was even ripe last year. Fruit that is there for everyone to share.

I have lost my faith in community. I hope it can be restored.
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2010, 09:02 PM

Re: What is a community?

I would put another electric tool in the shed and make sure he sees it, first of all though wire it up wrongly so that if he stole that and used it, it would maybe give him the shock of his life! Low lifes like that are better off biting the dust for good. Or, put strong glue on the handle of your shed, or another tool, and perhaps with a bit of luck, he would stick to it!

Would the council, or whoever owns the whole ground - if the plots are rented - not put in CCTV.

It is such a shame that people like that exist.

Sorry to hear you have lost your electric screw driver - they don't come cheap.

Take care and hope the a/h does one job too many.
PPHammer
Yorkshire, UK
PPHammer is male  PPHammer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2010, 09:13 PM

Thanks Rosemary - I could be really vindictive if I tried I am that angry. I am even more angry that he has made the Asian lady feel unwelcome. If he continues I will be reporting him to the council who will take a very dim view of such behaviour.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2010, 09:42 PM

What a pity; it takes only one bad egg like that to ruin things for everyone; most people are good basically. Disgusting about stealing all the fruit; and that is so sad he's made the Asian lady feel unwelcome.....
PPHammer
Yorkshire, UK

22-05-2010, 09:51 PM

He was nearly thrown out last year for fighting with another plot holder. They had a big row about something and he went home to get a chain that he was wielding round like a mad man. I am making it my priority to ensure the new lady feels welcome and stays. I am going to take her some established plants to get her started.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2010, 09:55 PM

What a nasty character! I hope he does get thrown out; and how kind to help her; I'd do that too if I were there. A pox on him, hope he gets boils in an uncomfortable place...
PPHammer
Yorkshire, UK

22-05-2010, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
A pox on him, hope he gets boils in an uncomfortable place...
lol Eileen - let's both wish that on him from both sides of the Atlantic. I really do despise nasty people. We can all get along - there is no need for such behaviour.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2010, 10:12 PM

While I generally like to give everyone a chance, he does sound like he has 'issues', esp as he has upset more than one person.

What did he say to the Asian lady? I wouldn't stand for any bigotry tbh - people need to know there's a line that shouldn't be crossed - or they just get worse and worse :-/
PPHammer
Yorkshire, UK

22-05-2010, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
While I generally like to give everyone a chance, he does sound like he has 'issues', esp as he has upset more than one person./
You are so polite Azz - I really would like to give him both barrels. The Asian lady has a dog that was a bit 'barky' and he was giving her what for about that. The thing is my two yappers are making lots of noise and he has said nothing to me. And other plot holders also have dogs. She is the only Asian person on the plot and he has obviously singled her out for different attention because of her dog. He will not succeed.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2010, 10:57 PM

Sounds like a bully. Bullies are usually insecure types... he prob hasn't got any friends

When I was younger I used to work in a shop and this ol lady used to come in who always looked and sounded 'grumpy', and my workmates used to say 'shes a grumpy ol cow that one'. But for some reason I decided to make an effort and talk to her and just give her a chance.

She was an ex-nurse and worked through the war, and talking about her past made her smile back with fondness, and she was a different person after that, much more chatty etc. A lovely lady and I won't ever forget her, and the lesson she taught me, that looks can be decpetive.

Ok not sure why I just shared that as I don't think this guy is a pussy cat underneath it all

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top