Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2016, 03:06 PM

Pawn Stars

I really look forward to watching Pawn Stars with Rick, Corey and Chumley, not to mention the wet lipped Old Man. I know it's staged, but it's great comedy sometimes.

Some interesting stuff comes in and I enjoy listening to the experts giving their opinion/history of the object.
Like to watch Rick's face - he gets so animated/enthralled when he learns something new.
I read on Wiki that he spent a good deal of time in bed as a kid through epilepsy. He spent a lot of that time reading, where he got to know so much stuff.

I'd love to know if any of our American friends have been in the shop and can give the real gen on the place
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2016, 03:24 PM

Re: Pawn Stars

It is a fabulous programme - love the characters and the items that come into the shop
Really interesting
Hanfonius
North Wales
Hanfonius is male  Hanfonius has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2016, 03:36 PM

Some friends of mine in the UK visited the shop when they visited Las Vegas.
They said that the four main characters were on the premises, but mostly stayed 'back stage' to keep away from the many people who go there to see them.

I know from my many visits to American pawn shops that they are not cheap places for buying things. Don't think that you are ever going to get a bargain there...
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2016, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Hanfonius ->
I know from my many visits to American pawn shops that they are not cheap places for buying things. Don't think that you are ever going to get a bargain there...
Hanfonius - I've never been in a pawn shop. You surprise me as I thought pawned stuff would be cheaper.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2016, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
Hanfonius - I've never been in a pawn shop. You surprise me as I thought pawned stuff would be cheaper.
They only take 'real good' items though Pesta - mainly collectables
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2016, 04:35 PM

The old boy and Chumley are hilarious.

The old man's one liners are legendary.

“I don’t care what the little bastards say, I love the holidays, just not with them"

"I dont understand horror movies. If you want horror have a couple of kids"

"I'm that happy today that I may even crack a smile"
eyes_of_a_painter
n
eyes_of_a_painter is male  eyes_of_a_painter has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2016, 06:51 PM

I was in Vegas about 3 years ago. On a normal day the Pawn Shop is pretty much empty. Like you said its pretty much staged. One with a bit of smarts would never take a true antique to a pawn shop. You cut off the middleman by going to a true auction house like Sotheby's. You get more bang for your money
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

06-02-2016, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by eyes_of_a_painter ->
I was in Vegas about 3 years ago. On a normal day the Pawn Shop is pretty much empty. Like you said its pretty much staged. One with a bit of smarts would never take a true antique to a pawn shop. You cut off the middleman by going to a true auction house like Sotheby's. You get more bang for your money
Got it in one Rodolfo. They get some really expensive stuff in too. I often wonder why these people don't realise it's better to go to appropriate auctions with their genuine antiques. Maybe they just want to be on TV.

Recently they had someone wanting to sell a jet. Can't remember if they bought it, don't think they did - but who on earth would take that to a pawn shop?

Still, I don't s'pose there would be a programme without these folk

Must say Corey looks a million times better since he lost weight. There's something about him, I think he has a lovely face.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

06-02-2016, 07:23 PM

The shop looks pretty well stocked to me
Sure they will get more custom when filming
Gaz55
UK
Gaz55 is male  Gaz55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2016, 07:00 AM

I think we all know its all staged,but its great fun to watch,and interesting as well! Much better than some of the English programs we get on,although Salvage hunter's is great to watch with Drew Pritchard and his trusty side kick, T.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top