Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Dalmagirl
Longford, Ireland
Dalmagirl is female  Dalmagirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2010, 10:59 PM

Fright night!

I was tinkering away on the computer when I saw something large in the corner of my eye flying straight for me. Turning my head I was met by what looked like a huge mutant moth coming straight at me. Whoooooaaaaaa!!!! I leaped back so the chair tipped back and crashed onto the floor, even the dogs woke up. The beast lay on the floor like a stealth fighter and after my initial WTF moment I realised it was.... a bat! It must have flown in while the door was open when I let the dogs out.
I caught it in a jam jar, not wishing to harm it by picking it up, and released it outside. Due to my advanced cabin fever I even talked to it during the process!!!!
Well it makes a change from the pair of foxes that frolic through the ground behind the house, the weasels, pheasant and hares! AND the dogs left it alone.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2010, 02:10 AM

Re: Fright night!

Scary!!! I don't know if bats are a carrier of rabies in Ireland as they are here in the US; I wouldn't ever have dared catch it in a jam jar! Thank God you weren't bitten!
PPHammer
Yorkshire, UK
PPHammer is male  PPHammer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2010, 07:12 AM

Cool - I would love to have seen a bat so close up. After the initial scare of it swooping into the room. Well done for releasing it
moetmum
Hampshire
moetmum is female  moetmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2010, 07:36 AM

I like bats, we often have them in the garden in the summer,

I had a similar scare a few years ago when one came in the window at night, I turned the light on to see what was going on and it shot down the back of the bed.

Our first cat caught several bats, she must have caught them when they came down to drink or was flying low. She used to bring them into the house and let them go.

We are lucky DM that we are rabies free in the UK, I just hope we stay that way.
Dalmagirl
Longford, Ireland
Dalmagirl is female  Dalmagirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2010, 08:27 AM

We don't have rabies in Ireland either. It was either a Pipistrelle or a Daubenton's bat, (I have a river as one side boundary). They used to live in the ruined cottage that stood where my house is now and I have often wondered where they are living now although there is another derelict cottage 100 yards up the lane. When I first moved here, dusk was a great time to see them hurtling around the house which I liked to see, but coming full speed towards my head in my own, well-lit house? I think this one must have been drunk!
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2010, 09:18 AM

Glad you let it go safely DG

We get them round here in the gardens - and they always make you swoop your head as you think they're gonna crash into you! They fly like they're drunk
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2010, 09:28 AM

Oh I like bats! I see them fly past my flat sometimes! Would be a bit scary for you though coming at you! As long as it didn't materialise into Christopher Lee and go for your neck!!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2010, 12:19 PM

The only bats I've seen up close have been in the zoo.

I can't begin to imagine what I'd feel like if one was flying close towards me!
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2010, 05:55 PM

Bats are really very frightened creatures, they start flying around as soon as something or some-one goes near to them.
They fly like they are drunk because they rely on radar type signals to get around.
There is a saying, which I believe is true, that once you accept death as part of dying then nothing will frighten you.

We were brought up with dying being part of living so I always say that I am not frightened of dying, it is just something else to put up with.
-
-

A bat flying straight at me would I think, scare the living daylights out of me though.
Moli
Aberdeenshire
Moli is female  Moli has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2010, 10:11 PM

We have them every evening as its getting dark, flying round the garden...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top