Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2016, 10:08 PM

Good old days?

Good old days i wonder maybe they were for the lucky ones. I remember bucket toilets where you had to walk down to the end of the garden in the dark in all weathers for the toilet and then use the cut newspaper hanging on a nail very nice.
We never even had electric in one house just candles and had to get water from a well in other words it was like stepping back in time.
4 sisters and 3 brothers so my poor old mum had her hands full.The times there were 4 of us in a bed two at top 2 at bottom lol!!
I suppose its a good thing the youngsters nowadays don't have to experiance that sort of thing it would break their hearts.
I won't mention the rat problems we had. ☺
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2016, 10:14 PM

Re: Good old days?

Doc I can remember my grandad having an outside toilet with the newspaper on a nail,but back then we just got on with it and didnt think anything of it did we.? It was just how it was.
We used to have a tin bath in front of the fire too us kids would get to go in first ...we used to get water from a well too when we were kids.
We didnt get a proper bathroom and toilet until I was 14yrs old...it was heaven when we had a proper bathroom fitted...
But we still had happy times back then lots of them
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2016, 10:15 PM

Bath night was once a week in a tin bath in front of the fire. I can still remember the lovely scent of Wright's Coal Tar soap and a mug of Ovaltine while we listened to the radio wrapped up in warm towels after our bath.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2016, 10:18 PM

My happiest time was early Sunday morning when I would go into the fields with my nan picking huge field mushrooms for breakfast. After breakfast we would go down to the brook and catch sticklebacks and newts.
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2016, 10:18 PM

Yes Aysa i remember the tin bath in the kitchen on a Sunday and a scrubbing brush us kids use to share the water. It was awful if anybody came in from outside as the cold draught on your back was so cold and those big old slabs of soap green if i remember.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2016, 10:23 PM

Yes great big green bars of soap..mum would heat water up in a copper and fill the tin bath..we used to be allowed a packet of crisps after our bath that was the only time we were allowed crisps.
Browbeaten
manchester
Browbeaten is male  Browbeaten has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2016, 10:29 PM

I remember the newspaper in the loo, and your fish and chips were wrapped in newspaper too.
We visited our grandparents in Ireland out in the country.
I was about seven and my brother was five. Our Auntie took us there.
The loo was outside in the pitch dark.
She had a potty, we were expected to use the loo!
Improvised by pulling a chair to the window and peeing out into the open.
The cold didn't cause any shrinkage because at that age there wasn't much to ......
Docholliday
Norfolk UK

01-02-2016, 10:33 PM

Isn't it great to have lovely soft toilet paper instead of newspaper or that awful IZAL slippery toilet paper?
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2016, 10:56 PM

Isn't it great to see you all still here telling the tales, didn't do you a bit of harm, toughened yez up if nothing else.
Browbeaten
manchester
Browbeaten is male  Browbeaten has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2016, 10:57 PM

I used to use that izal as tracing paper when I needed to do homework.
You are right about it being slippery though!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top