Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2016, 12:18 AM

Colours

Having always been a "why and how" person, and sometimes weird (so Iīm told), every now and then strange queries pop into my mind and I want answers to them.

The latest one is colours, who named them and why? For example why is red, red and not blue etc. Who decided that red was for danger and green was for go? So far the best Iīve come up with is this, and it doesnīt really give me the answers I want:

https://www.quora.com/How-were-colors-named

I can understand the word deriviations but I still want to know why blood couldnīt have been blue, or grass red, if you see what I mean. Iīve given myself a headache now
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2016, 12:24 AM

Re: Colours

Here ya go:

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index....-names-colors/
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2016, 12:37 AM

Hi

A boring science answer, but then I am a boring scientist.

Blood is red because it is made of two things, apart from water, which is what most of our bodies are made from.

The two things are iron and oxygen.

Leave some iron outside in the air and rain and it rusts.

What colour is rust?

Reddy orange, so the answer is your blood is red because it is basically rust.

Why are plants green?

A thing called chlorophyll.

This is the bit which converts sunlight into growth.

Chlorophyll uses the red and deep blue bits of light to do this, all the other colours of the rainbow are reflected, and if you take the red and deep blue bits out of a rainbow, it looks green.

Which is why, if you want to get your seedlings off to a great start you use an LED Light which has a deep blue and red colour.

This is also good if you are growing certain herbs, purely for medicinal purposes of course, in your house.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2016, 12:39 AM

And there's me thinking clumsy just wanted to know why red was called red!
eyes_of_a_painter
n
eyes_of_a_painter is male  eyes_of_a_painter has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2016, 01:02 AM

The same reason why you call yourself CLUMSY.Names are given to things or persons and later comfortably are identified by those names. Red is Red and not Blue, because from the begining that was the name of choice in our minds for that color. If back then we would have called Red Blue and thus, today, we would have identified what looks as Red as Blue.

But thats just me thinking crazy, so don't take my word for it
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2016, 01:51 AM

Thanks all. Mups understood me, you must be on my crazy wavelength mups
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2016, 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
Thanks all. Mups understood me, you must be on my crazy wavelength mups

Men over complicate things clumsy.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2016, 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Men over complicate things clumsy.
Possibly.

I always wonder what blind people think in.
If you go blind because of health or accident you know what things look like, eg you hear a siren you picture an ambulance, police car etc. The image will still be the same as when you last saw one before going blind.

If you were born blind then is your mind/imagination blank, like a darkroom.
Butterfly2013
Canada
Butterfly2013 is female  Butterfly2013 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2016, 03:46 AM

I don't wonder how they came up with the names for colors, but what I do wonder is, what if the sky was green the ocean pink and the grass was blue ? OMG how would that look ? lol I guess if it was always like that, we would love the colors they came in lol
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2016, 03:59 AM

Try LSD.
You'll probably find out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top