Join for free
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2016, 10:43 AM

Sending parcels to Brazil

In short don't. We have had no end of problems with both private and by royal mail system.

My wife sent an O U course book to my son out there and included three birthday cards as well, declareing them on the form. Brazil Customs will allow l books in but wanted £95 for the cards to clear customs, True

So now we are reluctant to send any christmas/birthday cards so our grandchildren are missing out on getting them

Just sent out a soft £6 cuddly toy for the new born two weeks ago and still not arrived .

Their postal system must be one of the worst in a so called civilised world
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2016, 11:13 AM

Re: Sending parcels to Brazil

Why not do a Bank Transfer to your Sons of the amount you want spending on the presents for GC.. Quicker and your sure its getting there .
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2016, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Eliza ->
Why not do a Bank Transfer to your Sons of the amount you want spending on the presents for GC.. Quicker and your sure its getting there .
Brazil Is a strange country if you have never been. There is a lot of goods here that are not there, and the cost of the same item is usually far more expensive in Brazil. Many locals go into Argentina for goods as well if they live close to the border

So much so that my son is considering to fly to Canada to buy a camera, the trip would be worth it.Brazil I hasten to say is a really beautiful country, unfortunately it is the population that lets it down. Tax evasion is rife

Goods have around 150+% tax on imports. A car costing say £20,000 here would cost £70,000 over there

We go because we stay with family, there is no way would I suggest it as a holiday destination for the average tourist, too dangerous.

Last time I was there the local police sargent my daughter in law knows showed me his pistol after removing the bullets.

He carries is always and proudly said he had killed 3 people just that day who were heavily involved in drugs or something.

if you saw the Favelas (shanty town areas) you would understand, even a lot of police wont go into them

Link

http://www.britannica.com/topic/favela
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2016, 11:56 AM

We have a similar problem here, but only with the British post. We have various Brit post offices, post is collected from them daily and all post goes to Gatwick. I have now had 3 parcels that have never arrived, the last one was posted on 6th October, still no sign of it. The people who run the Brit post it was sent from tried to find out what had happened to the parcel, but I was told that because it wasn“t registered I wasn“t even going to get a refund on the postal cost, which was 19 euros. Various cards don“t arrive either and cards sent from UK to here go missing too, the last one a birthday card posted in UK at the beginning of December, still no sign of it.

I now send anything that has to be posted from the Correos, Spanish post office, the queues are often long but the cost of postage is cheaper and as of today“s date nothing has gone missing. I have posted a few parcels recently, baby clothes for the new arrival, none have gone missing and have arrived at their home within a week.

Kenya was fairly similar to Brazil. If anyone sent a parcel to us, no matter how small, we had to pay to collect it, that“s if it ever arrived !

We don“t send birthday presents or Christmas presents to my son and his wife, we pay their air fares to come here instead.
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2016, 12:00 PM

And people have the cheek to moan about our postal system!!
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

24-01-2016, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Docholliday ->
And people have the cheek to moan about our postal system!!
We moan because we expect everything to work smoothly without bureaucracy in the way for a start. The Post office has to deliver to every address where as private companies do not.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2016, 12:35 PM

I used to live in South America ( Argentina)
You will never get anything out of the customs without paying hefty bribes to the custom amen as well as the official tariffs .
They are corrupt and will steal everything they also open cards and letters if they think there is a chance of money in them .
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2016, 04:03 PM

Twice a parcel Ive sent to Dublin has gone via Canada..Once it went missing for six months only to turn up back at my house!

I phoned Dublin and asked the manager there if they have some sort of worm hole in the sorting office that redirects post they cant be bothered to deliver..

The guy laughed but since then my parcels have arrived.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top