Join for free
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2016, 10:25 AM

Johnnie Onions

There was a lot of reminiscing recently about our local onion seller who in the recent past arrived each summer from his cottage in Normandy with an ancient bicycle festooned with strings of beautiful onions. Known to all as André he played the part well and wore a beret and blue and white striped jersey, speaking in a charming rural broken English/French patois.
He charged a modest £5 for each string of onions, and they were hung up in the kitchen for a country effect.
Anyway, enough about Andre, today I saw a heavily laden bike being pushed by a stooped old man, from a distance it looked as if it was my long lost onion seller.
No, it was something far more interesting. As the bike passed I could see boxes & bags attached to the handle & frame. All the while, I’ll call him Francois, struggled to what seemed to a scrap yard.
ON closer inspection I was rather stunned to see a kitchen sink attached to the crossbar.
You could say he was carrying everything AND the kitchen sink
A first & possibly the end of a favourite English idiom.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2016, 10:46 AM

Re: Johnnie Onions

You tell a great story RJ - I do think that a fiver for a string of onions is a bit much - or was it a very long string ................
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2016, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
You tell a great story RJ - I do think that a fiver for a string of onions is a bit much - or was it a very long string ................
Thank you Patsy,but they WERE choice onions & they WERE skillfully French Plaited & they WERE personally imported by a genuine Frenchman.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2016, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->
Thank you Patsy,but they WERE choice onions & they WERE skillfully French Plaited & they WERE personally imported by a genuine Frenchman.
Oh I see - forgive my ignorance - Tesco not a patch on them onions and you certainly know yer onions RJ
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK

17-01-2016, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Oh I see - forgive my ignorance - Tesco not a patch on them onions and you certainly know yer onions RJ
Patsy, ignorant never. I was over compensating for buying extravagant onions from a door to door salesman. On a bike.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

17-01-2016, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->
Patsy, ignorant never. I was over compensating for buying extravagant onions from a door to door salesman. On a bike.
Ha ha
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2016, 11:36 AM

And the moral of your story is Don't cry over lost bike pedelling onion sellers Robert
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2016, 12:04 PM

Lovely story Robert!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top