Join for free
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2016, 02:29 PM

Several names is confusing

Why is Surgical Spirit called different names?

I have been looking something up and seen it called "rubbing alcohol" and also "Isopropyl alcohol. I found it very confusing and was wondering where on earth I could buy 'rubbing alcohol', and then discovered it was all the same stuff - surgical spirit!
eyes_of_a_painter
n
eyes_of_a_painter is male  eyes_of_a_painter has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2016, 02:47 PM

Re: Several names is confusing

Blame it on doctors. Its not enough that we can't read their writting, they like to call things in all different ways when the final outcome is the same. Thats why I tell my doctor all the time... Keep it simple, doc.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2016, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Why is Surgical Spirit called different names?

I have been looking something up and seen it called "rubbing alcohol" and also "Isopropyl alcohol. I found it very confusing and was wondering where on earth I could buy 'rubbing alcohol', and then discovered it was all the same stuff - surgical spirit!
Some product names are very old and had a particular purpose which may or may not exist now and their names were superseded by new ones .

Others names are generic, the name of the substance is taken up by a manufacturer and given their own trade name which can be more appealing

Petroleum jelly is a good example, Vaseline sounds more pleasant I think
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2016, 03:48 PM

I think the Americans call surgical spirit, alcohol. I remember my sister using it a lot for disinfection when she lived there.
Yes Meg, Vaseline does sound better than white soft paraffin too. It was called that when I started dispensing.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top