Join for free
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2016, 04:40 AM

Gonna buy myself a dash cam.

After the drive home tonight I'm going to buy a dash cam for my car.
It's going to come in handy should I be involved in a 'not at fault accident' or a bit of fun posting footage of idiots on the road.

I have been thinking about getting one for a while, tonight's events has convinced me.

1) passing some parked cars one driver decides it's a good idea to throw open the car door just as I'm approaching, missed her by about 6 inches.

2) a car pulls out of a car park right in front of me, I stood on the brakes and came to a halt about 2 feet from her side.

3) a car is heading right at me on my side of the road, the driver realises at the last minute, swerves and misses me by inches.

All this occurred within 500 yards of each other, on the same road.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2016, 05:44 AM

Re: Gonna buy myself a dash cam.

iN-CAR CAM™ 402G Professional

http://www.nextbase.co.uk/product/in...-professional/

I've got one .....
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2016, 05:50 AM

I had considered getting one about a year ago but I took stock and realised that in 30 odd years of driving I can't think of even one occasion when it would have been useful to have had one.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2016, 06:51 AM

Ive been thinking about it too..
My son bought one and only had it two days when a woman backed into him at Tesco. He had been driving very slowly looking for a parking space and she backed straight out and hit him.

She claimed it was his fault until he calmly pointed at the dashboard cam... She admitted blame and signed the paperwork.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2016, 09:34 AM

And there are so many cash for crash claims nowadays, people wanting to make a fast buck. It's happened to my niece twice.

I hope to get one this year, should I now take the car on longer journeys following its recent repair. (Once the service and MOT is done in Feb I will start planning.)

I haven't looked at the survey but I can guess at the most popular Nextbase one. I've had my eye on that. I thought of getting the twin camera but it could be just as easy to stick a second one on the back windscreen. I've also been looking at videos on how to hardwire one in.

If anyone else gets one, would like to hear of your stories.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2016, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
After the drive home tonight I'm going to buy a dash cam for my car.
It's going to come in handy should I be involved in a 'not at fault accident' or a bit of fun posting footage of idiots on the road.

I have been thinking about getting one for a while, tonight's events has convinced me.

1) passing some parked cars one driver decides it's a good idea to throw open the car door just as I'm approaching, missed her by about 6 inches.

2) a car pulls out of a car park right in front of me, I stood on the brakes and came to a halt about 2 feet from her side.

3) a car is heading right at me on my side of the road, the driver realises at the last minute, swerves and misses me by inches.

All this occurred within 500 yards of each other, on the same road.
Tpin are you sure you hadnt mistakenly driven into your local stock car racing stadium that road sounds like a deathtrap ...
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2016, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
And there are so many cash for crash claims nowadays, people wanting to make a fast buck. It's happened to my niece twice.

I hope to get one this year, should I now take the car on longer journeys following its recent repair. (Once the service and MOT is done in Feb I will start planning.)

I haven't looked at the survey but I can guess at the most popular Nextbase one. I've had my eye on that. I thought of getting the twin camera but it could be just as easy to stick a second one on the back windscreen. I've also been looking at videos on how to hardwire one in.

If anyone else gets one, would like to hear of your stories.
Installation is easy - the cam comes with a power cable long enough to go round the windscreen towards the door and then down towards the floor before crossing to the 12v power socket - but, unless professionally fitted behind the car interior (roof lining, door pillar, side of glovebox, etc), the cable will be visible - that doesn't bother me, but it might bother some.

The cam is literally Plug'n'Play but some settings will have to be amended, e.g. time/date, car registration number, etc. - the menu is fiddly but adequate.

I installed a 32GB Micro SDHC 32GB Memory Card in order to retain as much information as possible.

The cam comes with software which permits the cards to be read on a PC - great video and sound (so watch your language) with lots of information, such as time, registration number, location, speed, etc.

Here's a sample of the video (not one of mine):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KupQdIHOQEQ

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top