Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2016, 07:22 PM

Giving up driving

I know we had a thread a while back about what age we ought to be thinking about giving up driving, but don't give up just yet.
Just seen on the news an old chap of 103 still driving!!!
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2016, 07:26 PM

Re: Giving up driving

I think when you reach a certain age you should be made to take a test and perhaps have a medical eye sight test etc age 70 springs to mind.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2016, 07:29 PM

103 ??!! That seems incredibly old to still be behind the wheel !!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2016, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by cranberry ->
103 ??!! That seems incredibly old to still be behind the wheel !!

I can't for the life of me see how this dear old soul's reflexes could still be up to scratch, for a start.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2016, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I can't for the life of me see how this dear old soul's reflexes could still be up to scratch, for a start.
I know.... that's only one thing to worry about! At 103 there must be others.
I always worry just crossing the road, how many step on the accelerator instead of the brake? Doesn't bear thinking about !
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2016, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Docholliday ->
I think when you reach a certain age you should be made to take a test and perhaps have a medical eye sight test etc age 70 springs to mind.
That is compulsory here Doc, every five years when your driving licence expires. At 80 it was every year, not too sure but I think that has now changed to the 5 year rule.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2016, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
You wanna see him after he's had a few beers.
Advantage Out
Öresund, Sweden
Advantage Out is male  Advantage Out has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2016, 08:43 PM

I lost my permit just a few months ago when DVLA discovered that I suffer from sleep apnoea. I might have challenged them (and won) but I sold my last car in 1999 and have no plan of ever purchasing another.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2016, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Docholliday ->
I think you do have to have a medical eye test from 70 onwards, but that may have changed. Here you certainly do.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2016, 10:40 PM

Last summer I worked with a man I thought was in his mid 70's, he drove everyday and was really fit and healthy he did press ups every day and was as bright as a button ..I was shocked when he told me he was 99..

On the other hand I see hesitant 60 yr olds who shouldnt be in charge of a roller skate much less a car....Our local shopping area has put up anti ram raid bars, not because we have ram raiders but the older drivers keep mistaking the pedals and ramming the shops. Last year one ended up inside the chemists!

These things need to be done on a case by case basis.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top