Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2010, 05:34 PM

Dental Care

I hate dentists! I avoided going to them for years, allowing my mouth to deteriorate to a terrible state. I was forced to seek a new dentist about three months ago when a frontal tooth broke in half and fell out in my hand. Not the sort of thing you can ignore or put off.

I used the local phone book to find a dentist and started a long process of correcting all the damage I'd caused by neglect. It has been a wonderful experience.

Dr. Hartman and his staff never mentioned my poor hygiene but set forth a plan to give me a healthy mouth once again. I've taken better care of my mouth in the past two months than I had in the past 20 years. His dental care is completely painless and personal. They treat you like your the only appointment of the day.

My reconstruction, including two bridges and three crowns isn't cheap, cost me some $11,000. Only $1500 was covered by my dental insurance, a veritable drop in the old bucket. Still, I have a dental staff I now trust and will continue to see on a routine basis.
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2010, 05:52 PM

Re: Dental Care

A good dentist is well worth knowing. We pay a few pounds for regular check ups and it saves anything `major` as Chris gets to treat anything before it becomes a big issue.

And `bless him` since Jenny has had all the shit with her mouth cancer he has cleaned up her remaining teeth a couple of times for free.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2010, 07:01 PM

Glad you've found a dentist you have faith in Bob, it makes such a lot of difference.

My dentist has just retired, so after over 30 years with him, I have to see his replacement next month. I just hope he is up to the same excellent standard and I can feel confident with him.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2010, 10:00 PM

I did the same thing Bob-didn't go to Dentist for number of years because I was petrified of them. Then had no choice but to find a dentist because of a broken tooth which exposed the root. The practice I'm with now is brilliant and I have complete faith in them.....still don't like going but don't have the fear factor so much now.......
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2010, 10:06 PM

As it happens, I went to the dentist today

He is the only holistic dentist in the area, and has clients from all-over... not many dentists are against mercury fillings unfortunately. He's not perfect but at least he doesn't poison your body with mercury
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2010, 10:19 PM

My dentist Azz does not use mercury for fillings is totally against that form of treatment.........
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2010, 08:12 AM

That's great, Bob. I don't have dental problems - I've got "wallies" - had them since I was 17. Never missed my real teeth!

Good for you and you will reap the benefit of it.

Take care.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2010, 09:56 PM

I'm like you, Bob, two horrible experiences as a child and teenager left me absolutely paralyzed with fear of the dentist; haven't seen one since; have lost several back teeth. I can live with that, but a front one is getting loose and I'm afraid I'll be forced to overcome my fear and see one. My Mom was so dentist-phobic she had to have work done under GA!

Did they give you tranqilizers or something to overcome the pain?
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2010, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
I'm like you, Bob, two horrible experiences as a child and teenager left me absolutely paralyzed with fear of the dentist; haven't seen one since; have lost several back teeth. I can live with that, but a front one is getting loose and I'm afraid I'll be forced to overcome my fear and see one. My Mom was so dentist-phobic she had to have work done under GA!

No pain just novacaine.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2010, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->

You'll find dental surgery is so much more comfortable these days, Eileen ........ there is not the pain involved like there was say 50 years ago.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top