Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Ole Simmo 1939
Baldivis Western Australia
Ole Simmo 1939 is male 

10-01-2016, 03:19 AM

Looking back at our early life in Aussie

Hi members, with reference to drinking alchol subject I guess that this post might sound just a little bit boring but on looking back at our early years social life in Aussie after arriving in 1968 as ten pounder's we used to really live it up socially, unfortunately our days of getting well & truly plastered are gone, but in the early days every weekend was bbq & party time where all of our friends & neighbours would have some sort of get together including all of the kids, they were great times & everyone contributed to the food & also took along there own drinks. These get togethers were part of our lives, you can imagine what a different lifestyle we had come to after leading a fairly subdued social life in the UK. Even today we still have our oldies gatherings with family & close friends where everyone donates food etc. Drink wise in those days would be for the fella's a keg of cold beer between 5 & 10 gallons & for the girls it would be large flagons of local white wine, we used to take our bbq's very seriously. There was never any aggro ( trouble ) at all, the women used to make sure of that & all of the kids would be allowed to stay up later than usual & then if it wasn't to hot put in the back of your vehicle to go to sleep. Driving home sometimes would be a problem, not for the fact that you would be picked up for drunk driving as this was almost unheard of, but for the fact that the roads were mostly unlit & in some cases unsealed ( gravel roads ).Yes, when we look back to those days life was very simple but enjoyable.The good thing is for us pair of crusties when we all get together with our kids & grand kids we all talk about those times, in fact our boys often inform Patricia & myself of the times that they used to sneak a bit of the grog for themselves on the quiet. Thanks for listening to a bit of our family history.Terry
Ole Simmo 1939
Ole Simmo 1939 is male 

10-01-2016, 03:30 AM

Re: Looking back at our early life in Aussie

Hey, I nearly forgot to say that I do love a nice drop of red & the odd coldie ( beer ) as well but due to having just the one kidney the doc advised me against the hard stuff, Patricia is now a non drinker also for health reasons, just to let you know that we are not to boring..Terry
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2016, 08:28 AM

Sounds like utopia to me cobber, trouble is, continuous party days tend to blend into one, further down the line.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2016, 10:57 AM

It sounds just like Spain
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2016, 11:08 AM

It sounds great .
We used to have that sort of lifestyle -we lived in the tropics
What was great that the children were always running about happy in the sun
Things change .
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2016, 12:37 PM

Great post Simmo, thanks for the story, i know Littlehampton and Arundel very well...welcome to cyberland!
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2016, 02:09 PM

Loved reading your post Simmo on your memories of life gone by...
Ole Simmo 1939
Ole Simmo 1939 is male 

14-01-2016, 12:44 PM

Hi Spitfire, you are dead right about to much partying re, my post, I guess with us all being fairly new in the country it was a real eye opener. at that time women were not allowed in the public bars in pubs, so I guess the home entertaining was very popular.Terry
Ole Simmo 1939
Ole Simmo 1939 is male 

14-01-2016, 12:51 PM

Hi Aysa, I guess that I am getting a little more mellow as I get older but it is good to look back on your early life, there have been so many changes over the years and until you put the memories down you don't realise how quickly time has passed. Thank goodness my long term memory is still intact. cannot say the same for my short term memory though..Terry
Ole Simmo 1939
Ole Simmo 1939 is male 

14-01-2016, 01:12 PM

A big hi to you Ruthio & yes it is a new world especially for myself, never ever thought that I would be sitting in front of a screen doing this stuff but the great thing is I am finding it very challenging which for myself is a good thing.
Patricia my lovely wife of 54 years has got herself an Ipad and it was the best thing she ever got, she has learned herself heaps of stuff and can even sort my problems out if I get stuck.
The Ipad has opened up a new world for her whereby she can exchange news ,gossip ,family stuff to all of her remaining relatives in the UK plus all of our extended family here. It certainly was good value.
As I have mentioned earlier in a post we are coming over to the UK at the end of May & staying until mid August ( 11 weeks in all ) .she has a niece in Arundel whom has kindly offered us a place with her to use as a base to come & go as we please which is so good of her.
We have no fixed plan & we will try to see as much as we can while we are in the UK.
very best wishes to you and your family,who knows we may well cross paths.
From Terry & Patricia, down Baldivis way.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top