Join for free
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 > Last »
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2016, 12:54 PM

Fair or not?

There are many, many people that own dogs and cats and no doubt love them as i do mine, yet go off to work early and do not arrive home until late that evening do you honestly think this is fair on the dog?
Don't get me wrong i am not condeming these pet owners all i am doing is asking you out there if you think its right to leave an animal all day alone.
I feel bad if i nip out for an hour and leave my dog no way could i leave my dog alone all day.
I do realise many people have jobs and have to go to work, but should they have pets if if it means leaving the poor things alone all day?
Do not have a go at me this is just a question i am asking ok?🐶
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2016, 01:16 PM

Re: Fair or not?

Not something I would do but one the odd occasion because of an emergency I have had to do it mine have amazed me by not seeming to miss me at all. important thing is having some where they can go to the loo IMO and ours use a puppy pad in emergencies so we have that one covered. Only happened a handful of times in over 30 years.
Davenorave
Wales
Davenorave is male  Davenorave has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2016, 01:24 PM

As a gut response, no. Then I do not have a dog or any pet. I do however appreciate it must be difficult for many people who have to work, as to what to do with their animal.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2016, 01:29 PM

I think it depends a lot on the pet. Some dogs are very upset by being left for even a short time, some are ok with it.
Cats are usually independent and as long as they have everything they need they're generally ok for a few hours. I don't like this practice of people leaving them for days with those timed feeding stations.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2016, 01:30 PM

I have my dog Poppy and shes never really alone as there is usually always someone at home,on the occassions where weve left her for a while shes been fine but I wouldnt ever like to do that every day for work ,I dont think its fair to have a pet and leave them all day alone. But thats just my personal feelings about it ,I wouldnt do it.
eyes_of_a_painter
n
eyes_of_a_painter is male  eyes_of_a_painter has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2016, 01:31 PM

Dogs seem to have the abiliy to cope with what is thrown at them. Even waiting hours patiently to go to the bathroom
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2016, 01:32 PM

Nicely put Aysa☺
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2016, 02:00 PM

IMO it's very unfair to leave a dog alone every day .. they are pack animals.

I live with 2 cats.

Cats are not pack animals and tend to do their own thing but I don't like leaving them alone for hours at a time ... so I don't.

Do they jump up and down and go bonkers when I return ? ... nah ! lol ... they carry on sleeping
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2016, 02:25 PM

As a dog owner myself I consider it is wrong and unfair to leave a dog on it's own all day. To expect a dog to go all day without relieving itself is unreasonable. If people are out at work all day IMO they should get themselves a stuffed toy - certainly not a dog.
Cats also like to have someone around for part of the day at least, but if they have a catflap to come and go they can at least please themselves when the go in and out and where they go. You cannot do this with a dog and the house becomes a prison with the dog isolated. No life for a creature like a dog. A dog can be taught to be on it's own for a while during the day and once in a routine most adult dogs can cope with a morning or afternoon of three or four hours, but IMO no more.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2016, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
As a dog owner myself I consider it is wrong and unfair to leave a dog on it's own all day. To expect a dog to go all day without relieving itself is unreasonable. If people are out at work all day IMO they should get themselves a stuffed toy - certainly not a dog.
Cats also like to have someone around for part of the day at least, but if they have a catflap to come and go they can at least please themselves when the go in and out and where they go. You cannot do this with a dog and the house becomes a prison with the dog isolated. No life for a creature like a dog.
Well said!!

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top