Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2010, 02:11 PM

Mobile Phones

You either love them or hate them.
Me! I hate them. When I was working I had to have a Pager and then a mobile phone which had to be on 24/7.
I promised myself that when I retired the first thing to go would be the mobile and it did.

You walk down the street and see youngster Texting their friend who, 9 out of 10 times, is walking with them.

When people are talking on the phone everyone from London to Timbuktu can hear the coversation.
I can understand having a mobile in the car in case of an emergency but to me they are the one of the most anti-social things to be invented.

Martin Cooper you have alot to answer for.

What are your views of the mobile phone.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2010, 03:04 PM

Re: Mobile Phones

I don't have a fancy mobile, just a small one that fits in my pocket which I take only if someone needs to get hold of me - if a friend calls I will usually say I'll call you when I get back home
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2010, 03:30 PM

I have a mobile phone which I use mostly as an emergency or when I am meeting up with someone who is travelling.

I always take it with me when I go out on my own just in case I should need it (orders from my family).
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2010, 04:33 PM

I think if I were a teenager I would love them-remember standing outside phone boxes in the cold and rain?

But I`m not so I just carry one in case,I don`t know it`s number and have no idea how to text because I have no need to.
PPHammer
Yorkshire, UK
PPHammer is male  PPHammer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2010, 06:51 PM

Essential 21st century kit. Has to be 3G, internet enabled with unlimited access. Must have an app for the job in question. Of course it has to be an iphone.

I have my iphone and one for work.

Ringtone? Just an ordinary ring ring for me.

Texting - not a great fan really. I have heard that a few generations from now, humans will have evolved two big thumbs.
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2010, 06:51 PM

I have a mobile, had one since they first came out! However, I hate them on buses and trains. I read about a man on a long distance train (Scotland to London I think) who yacked for nearly all of the journey and someone took ill and the attendant asked the man to borrow his mobile and the man, with a big red face, had to come clean and say it had no money in it and he was "pretending" to talk to an imaginery friend!

I keep mine for going out with Loki when I go long walks in the country, in case I need to call my friend if Loki takes one of her fits, also in case I get attacked!

They are a necessary evil at times!
moetmum
Hampshire
moetmum is female  moetmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2010, 07:14 PM

I have a mobile but don't use it very much, Its more for emergency use really.

It's good for keeping in touch with OH when I am off caravanning to check everything is OK at home.

I don't text, but could if I wanted too.

I find it annoying when people come into the centre and keep you waiting mid-serving or giving advice while they chat on the phone, especially when there are other people needing your attention.
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2010, 09:17 PM

I have a mobile . . . . it's never switched on . . . . I only carry it when travelling up north in case of an emergency in the middle of nowhere.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2010, 09:24 PM

Same as some others-I have a mobile phone but only for 'emergencies' as it were. Got one after I got stuck on the motorway for 2 hours on my way to my Brothers and couldn't let them know where I was.

I always take it with me when out walking with Hatti, especially when I'm on my own. Must say I feel safer having the mobile with me, just in case I need to contact anyone. Can text if I need to, but not very quick at it!!!
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2010, 10:06 PM

I have a very simple one that is just a phone! Doesn't take photos, text, connect to the net or any other fancy apps. It's for my convenience only, I keep it turned off as I only use it when my land line is down due to a power failure, or to make a necessary call if I'm on the computer (dial-up); and do carry it with me when I'm out in case of an emergency. Guess I'm a bit of a Luddite!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top