Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2016, 10:15 PM

Do you belong to the 'Palais de Dance' era.

When I was in my late teens/early twenties I used to go to the local 'Palais' 2/3 times a week. I loved it, dancing and chatting up the girls it was heaven. Were you part of it ?
Beki
Edinburgh, Scotland
Beki is female  Beki has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2016, 10:45 PM

Re: Do you belong to the 'Palais de Dance' era.

Well I wasn't chatting up the girls lol but it was very much part of our social life. We didn't go to public houses so the Palais was more exotic & enjoyable than the cafes where we met up. Usually Friday & Saturday nights & a Monday night in the next town. Quite a few good bands played & one or two even made records although I'm not sure if any ever made it to the Top Ten! This was before the local hotels started to have dancing.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2016, 11:06 PM

Sorry Alan havnt a clue what you are talking about lol bit before my time im afraid
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2016, 11:25 PM

'Do you belong to the 'Palais de Dance' era'.
Not quite but Alan but when staying with my cousin I used to go to the Saturday ballroom dance (mainly for workers from the corset factory) which was the only entertainment around apart from the cinema .
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2016, 11:28 PM

Yes Alan ,,was that the one at Nottingham , I had my first dance there ,I mostly stayed upstairs , down stairs was more like a disco it had a moving floor .
Upstairs there was a live band playing , I went for a few weeks ,and really enjoyed it .
I think its called the Oceana now ,, I have some nice memories When it was The Palais De Dance.....1970 was the year i went
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2016, 11:29 PM

No Palais de Dancing for me either .... was that Charleston days Alan?
mariana
Kent. Uk.
mariana is female  mariana has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2016, 12:01 AM

Oh yes--Hammersmith Palais---actually met my first husband there--but I will not hold that against it. Ted Heath-Lita Roza Dennis Lotos--used to go to the Empire in Leicester square--and was it the Locarno in Streatham ??
Tottenham Royal---but fave was Happersmith Palais--plus it was nearer toi me. just lived down the road in east acton. Great times. i cant believe I used to get up early, travel to London to do a days work--get back home have some tea and change-dance all night---few hours sleep, then do it all over again. !! i did not realise then how much stamina i had.
GillyT
Nottingham, England
GillyT is female  GillyT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2016, 12:28 AM

I remember the Palais at Nottingam, also the Sherwood Rooms and the Mechanics Dance Hall, even the YMCA on Shakespeare Street ! Great fun ! Back in the early 60s it was very rare to have just a disco. Live big bands were the order of the day - Cyril Stapleton, Ted Heath, etc. There was, sometimes, somebody with a record deck and a load of records to fill in at an interval, but never all the evening.

Those were the days when the fellas and girls actually held each other when they danced (like in 'Strictly'), not stand 4 feet apart and gyrate in suggestive manners, all trying their best to be Michael Jacksons !
eyes_of_a_painter
n
eyes_of_a_painter is male  eyes_of_a_painter has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2016, 12:30 AM

Not surprised by your remark, Alan. I always knew you were a ladies man, you just try to keep a low profile
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2016, 08:25 AM

By the time I was old enough to go the Hammersmith Palais was a disco.. A great venue though..

OH and I would start in the George in Hammersmith where they played the best rock and roll music and then head down to the palais..
Often by the time we headed home it was getting light..Dont ask me how we managed to stay awake let alone dance all night..
Now days Im lucky if I make the 10 oclock news!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top