Join for free
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2016, 10:59 PM

Beowulf

Anybody catch the first episode last night?

Thought I'd give it a shot and can't say I'm impressed thus far. The opening credits were more or less a rip-off of Game of Thrones, even the title music was similar. Another thing that narked - since when did Africans and Indians exist in 8th century Denmark?

Another thing was not only was one of the Indian characters a woman, she was also a blacksmith! That's a first, a female blacksmith slaving away at a forge. A few of the other women depicted were in positions of power one being a doctor of sorts. This would never have happened in that century either where women took on lesser roles. A sop to the PC brigade?

Perhaps the most galling, they were all too clean. First time I've ever seen Vikings with impeccable teeth, haute couture designer clothing and immaculately clean and groomed hairstyles.

4/10
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2016, 11:53 PM

Re: Beowulf

I was going to watch it Judd, but didn't in the end. From what you say, I perhaps wouldn't have enjoyed it anyway.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2016, 01:22 AM

I'm glad I missed it .....

http://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/tv-...gel-complaints

One eagle-eyed viewer joked: "I think the entire budget for Beowulf have been spent on hair gel" while another added: "Can barely wait to get my hands on the new range of #Beowulf hair styling products and cleansers."
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2016, 01:27 AM

Duplicate
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2016, 09:55 AM

So you didn't like it then Judd

I watched it but I didn't think it was half as good as the
great Viking saga just shown on BBC2 The Last Kingdom.
There was no hair gel or any kind of pretence in that series.
Cant wait to see the second series later this year.

The Beowulf programme better jig up otherwise the
second one will be the last one to watch for me.

p.s. there wasn't much hairgel on the monster Grendel.
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2016, 10:33 AM

I agree Judd i noticed some hairstyles were very modern and i will not be watching it again and as you say lots that weren't correct also acting was pretty bad.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2016, 02:11 PM

I was going to watch this but Im glad now that I didnt ...
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2016, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by BowieEyes ->
So you didn't like it then Judd

I watched it but I didn't think it was half as good as the
great Viking saga just shown on BBC2 The Last Kingdom.
There was no hair gel or any kind of pretence in that series.
Cant wait to see the second series later this year.

The Beowulf programme better jig up otherwise the
second one will be the last one to watch for me.

p.s. there wasn't much hairgel on the monster Grendel.
A poor Grendel at that. The original Grendel had an entire arm ripped off by Beowulf, not some measly trotter looking thing, and then crawled off to die somewhere before his mum came looking for revenge.
Indigo
UK
Indigo is female  Indigo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2016, 09:02 AM

One of the things I liked about the recent series set in the Dark Ages - "the Last Kingdom" was that the actors were commendably dirty, hair clothes, faces the lot.

I have recorded Beowulf but am not holding out hopes for it based on what is written here. I watched the CGI movie Beowulf with Ray Winstone sporting a computer enhanced 6 pack (bet he loved that) and that wasn't bad.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top