Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2016, 10:51 PM

Board games

Do you play board games regularly or do they just get dusted off at Christmas?

OH and I have set Monday afternoons as our time to play a board game, anything from Ludo or Battleship to monopoly or chess.

Our daughter bought us cluedo for Christmas and it now has a double sided playing board..
Ive been to our local charity shop and picked up a 'europe' game which is a travel round europe and buy things at the best possible price, and a game called titantic where believe it or not the aim is to gather your lifevest and valuables and head for the lifeboat avoiding the chance cards and pitfalls along the way (a bit like monopoly) maybe not in the best possible taste but quite good fun..

I looked at one called the Hobbit but the box looked better than the acutal game..
So does anyone play board games and if so what are your favorites or are you someone who cant stand them?
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2016, 11:07 PM

Re: Board games

Love them, but admit they're only played at Christmas and possibly on holiday.
Very much depends how many people...some games aren't much fun with only two.
For four or more I recommend RUMMIKUB or PIT

For two people...maybe crib, backgammon (I've forgotten how to play it!)
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2016, 11:11 PM

I used to love them Cass, but since me own two kids grew and flew I haven't played any board games, dominoes regularly in the pub but that's not a board game is it, the grandsons are too busy playing games on the computer when they're here.
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2016, 11:19 PM

We try to have game night once a month - it's either cards or board games.
We play the usual ones - Monopoly, Scrabble (hubby's a cheat on that one as he's a terrible speller!), Yahtzee, and Chinese Checkers.
Our favourite game to play with friends is Rummoli - a card game with a board!
When we lose power, the board games always come out. Kind of fun playing them by lantern!
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2016, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Love them, but admit they're only played at Christmas and possibly on holiday.
Very much depends how many people...some games aren't much fun with only two.
For four or more I recommend RUMMIKUB or PIT

For two people...maybe crib, backgammon (I've forgotten how to play it!)

Mum and I used to play Rummikub, till she felt unable to sit at a table because her neck hurt. I've got it now in my bedroom cupboard.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2016, 07:06 AM

I do wih there were more games designed for two players..

Sometimes I play a blind hand or second player just to add a little extra to the game.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2016, 10:41 AM

We used to play board games a lot when my boys were young but vary rarely now. Tried to play Trivial Pursuit over the Christmas period. It only served to remind me that my brain is slowly turning to mush. I now refer to them as Bored Games.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2016, 11:46 AM

Very popular here we love scrabble and othello.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2016, 12:51 PM

Here's one I didn't know til my daughter sent it over with her pressies from Oz.
It's called BANANAGRAMS and looks very similar to scrabble in that you have little letters, but you make your own pattern with all your letters so you can either play solo or with others, it's fun!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2016, 01:08 PM

Just had a look on Amazon looks like it could be played with scrabble tiles without a board.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top