Join for free
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2016, 07:29 PM

Be careful how you describe foreign food!

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/kyrgyzstan...161622249.html

Kyrgyzstan expels Briton after 'horse penis' Facebook comment

Briton working at a Canadian-owned gold mine in ex-Soviet Kyrgyzstan has been expelled after comparing a local delicacy to a horse penis in a Facebook post, an interior ministry spokesman confirmed Monday.

A city court in the eastern town of Karakol issued a decision to deport Michael Mcfeat, who was working for Toronto-listed Centerra Gold on the basis of his staying in the country illegally, the spokesman said.

The decision, which the spokesman said was owing to a lack of documents, spared Mcfeat from a more serious charge of inciting inter-ethnic hatred, which under Kyrgyz law is punishable by three to five years in prison.

Mcfeat has to leave the country within 24 hours of the decision, which was at 1000 GMT Monday.

In a New Year's Eve Facebook post, Mcfeat wrote that Kyrgyz were queuing for their "special delicacy, the horse's penis" during holiday celebrations, referring to a traditional horse sausage known as "chuchuk."

His remarks sparked a furious response among local co-workers, who staged a one-day strike January 2-3.

Mcfeat posted an apology on Facebook January 2, saying he had not meant to offend anyone.

He was arrested on Sunday by police on inter-ethnic hatred charges following complaints from colleagues.

Horse meat including offal is a popular delicacy in both Kyrgyzstan and neighbouring Kazakhstan where nomadic traditions have been revived since the collapse of the Soviet Union.

Located some 350 kilometres (210 miles) south east of the capital Bishkek, Kumtor mine is one of Kyrgyzstan's biggest assets and accounts for up to 10 percent of the nation's economic output.

In March, local lawmakers in Kyrgyzstan made international headlines by threatening the government with a vote of no confidence unless it got to grips with allegations that donkey meat was being sold as beef and lamb in the cafes of capital Bishkek.

And in 2011, MPs ritually slaughtered seven sheep in parliament to exorcise "evil spirits" from the chamber after a wave of bloody ethnic violence and regime change a year earlier.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2016, 07:40 PM

Re: Be careful how you describe foreign food!

Oh dear, sounds disgusting anyway no matter what it resembles. but just shows you have to be very careful what you post on Facebook. Big Brother is watching..
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2016, 07:42 PM

Indeed cranberry. Hard to imagine anyone taking such great offence over such a silly thing.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2016, 07:52 PM

That's rather daft I think most people have said silly things about food at some time or other, they sound very precious to have taken it so badly.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain

04-01-2016, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
That's rather daft I think most people have said silly things about food at some time or other, they sound very precious to have taken it so badly.
Absolutely agree. Imagine being deported because you described a sausage as looking like something else !
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2016, 08:14 PM

Beats me, they commit rape and murder in the UK and still we can't get them out

Agent
north east
Agent is male  Agent has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2016, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by dukeofearl ->
beats me, they commit rape and murder in the uk and still we can't get them out

yet !!
Agent
north east
Agent is male  Agent has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2016, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->

Kyrgyzstan expels Briton after 'horse penis' Facebook comment

Briton working at a Canadian-owned gold mine in ex-Soviet Kyrgyzstan has been expelled after comparing a local delicacy to a horse penis in a Facebook post, an interior ministry spokesman confirmed Monday.

A city court in the eastern town of Karakol issued a decision to deport Michael Mcfeat, who was working for Toronto-listed Centerra Gold on the basis of his staying in the country illegally, the spokesman said.

The decision, which the spokesman said was owing to a lack of documents, spared Mcfeat from a more serious charge of inciting inter-ethnic hatred, which under Kyrgyz law is punishable by three to five years in prison.

Mcfeat has to leave the country within 24 hours of the decision, which was at 1000 GMT Monday.

In a New Year's Eve Facebook post, Mcfeat wrote that Kyrgyz were queuing for their "special delicacy, the horse's penis" during holiday celebrations, referring to a traditional horse sausage known as "chuchuk."

His remarks sparked a furious response among local co-workers, who staged a one-day strike January 2-3.

Mcfeat posted an apology on Facebook January 2, saying he had not meant to offend anyone.

He was arrested on Sunday by police on inter-ethnic hatred charges following complaints from colleagues.

Horse meat including offal is a popular delicacy in both Kyrgyzstan and neighbouring Kazakhstan where nomadic traditions have been revived since the collapse of the Soviet Union.

Located some 350 kilometres (210 miles) south east of the capital Bishkek, Kumtor mine is one of Kyrgyzstan's biggest assets and accounts for up to 10 percent of the nation's economic output.

In March, local lawmakers in Kyrgyzstan made international headlines by threatening the government with a vote of no confidence unless it got to grips with allegations that donkey meat was being sold as beef and lamb in the cafes of capital Bishkek.

And in 2011, MPs ritually slaughtered seven sheep in parliament to exorcise "evil spirits" from the chamber after a wave of bloody ethnic violence and regime change a year earlier.
Well they do look rather tasty.. I've had something similar
And I may add far nicer than the kid that was slaughter in front of me in the Sahara near Chad.. I got an eye ball plus quite a few other undercooked bits

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top