Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2016, 01:07 PM

Christmas day shopping

Just been to Martins the newsagents in our local shopping centre and one of the staff was telling me they actually opened on Christmas day and we're really busy all the time . ( Double time was not paid to the staff ). I can't believe people would shop on Christmas day ,
rhosyn
South Wales
rhosyn is female  rhosyn has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2016, 01:11 PM

Re: Christmas day shopping

The local village shop here was open on Christmas day from 10-2.Don't know if anyone shopped there.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2016, 01:16 PM

Idiocy. We have 12 months to prepare for just 1 day. If we can't manage without a shop for one day, we're beyond help!
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2016, 01:18 PM

I think its disgusting to be open on xmas day and even more so to expect others to work (in a shop)..unless they want to ofc..if people cant go for one day without shopping its pretty poor imo
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2016, 01:25 PM

Well they definitely should get double time at least.
Miserly behaviour.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2016, 01:33 PM

You're forgetting that not everyone celebrates Xmas - those of different faiths for example. There's always someone who will need a last minute item so shops such as these can be said to be offering a service.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2016, 01:33 PM

Christmas is not celebrated by Muslims and Jews and Hindus et al.

Posted at the same time Judd ... Sorry !
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2016, 01:46 PM

I have several friends who are Jewish, not in the same country or family & they celebrate Christmas just like we do as well as their own religeous beliefs.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2016, 02:00 PM

When I first got my cab licence, I would work on Christmas Day. Very profitable and even then there were shops open. Even pubs were open as well. I picked up a barman going home, nice tip of half bottle of scotch.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2016, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
You're forgetting that not everyone celebrates Xmas - those of different faiths for example. There's always someone who will need a last minute item so shops such as these can be said to be offering a service.

Sorry Judd, but I don't really agree with that.

I understand what you say about those who may not wish to celebrate our festive season, but this is our country - and we do. Same as I would expect to honour another country's customs.
And what about the staff being made to work? What if they wanted to be with their families and enjoy their christmas dinner and a day's rest?

I don't see why anybody can't prepare for one day without a shop opening.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top