Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2016, 03:31 PM

How Pubs Use To Be

Do you remember when you could ask the barmaid/man for a pickled egg to go with your crisps? I haven't seen a jar of pickled eggs in a pub for years. If i remember rightly you could also buy a jar off cockles and other seafood they went down well with a pkt of crisps.
Nope all they care about nowadays are families coming in and stuffing their faces.
I use to go in the pub near where i worked for a ploughmans lunch very nice it was as well, another thing gone from pubs.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2016, 04:03 PM

Re: How Pubs Use To Be

Those were the "good old days" Doc lol I can remember my friends always having a pickled egg with a bag of salt and vinegar crisps ...the pubs ive been in lately which isnt very many havnt had pickled eggs anymore but the fish and chip shops still have them
Not the same I know as having one with a bag of crisps or a pint
What according to you is a typical ploughmans lunch? Is it Pork pie/cheese/pickle/bread and butter?
Indigo
UK
Indigo is female  Indigo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2016, 04:16 PM

I don't think that ploughman's are gone from pub lunch menus - I quite often have one at several different local pubs. Admittedly its been a while since I saw pickled eggs or gherkins on the bar - but I was not a fan of those anyway.

I don't mind families in at lunchtime as long as the kids are reasonably well behaved - which they are at the pubs I frequent. And as a former barmaid myself, I do appreciate that one is not forced to sit or stand in a fug of cigarette smoke any longer.
The last time I was working behind a bar - my eyes used to be streaming by 9pm from the smoke.
countrygirl
West Midlands
countrygirl is female  countrygirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2016, 04:24 PM

Pickled eggs were great, you can pickle your own but they're not the same as in a pub with a packet of crisps. Not so great, though, was the blue smoke like pea soup that you breathed in while eating your pickled egg. Many former bar staff suffer from emphysema in later life.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2016, 04:25 PM

Loved the pubs back then - good ol sing song or choose a nice quiet one for a drink and natter, maybe a good pianist in the background - lovely
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2016, 04:29 PM

Aysa my ploughmans use to be an enormous piece of strong matured cheese hunk of bread/butter and pickles and a couple pints of IPA.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2016, 04:32 PM

Doc I think there are still a fair few pubs around where you could still get a decent Ploughmans lunch as Indigo said she has visited several ...a really nice way to while away a lunchtime sitting in a lovely cosy old pub with a ploughmans and a drink
Sadly the lovely old pub in our village is closing down for good ..such a shame! Another one bitten the dust
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2016, 04:34 PM

I would frequently PA couple of pints on a Saturday now and then too.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2016, 04:39 PM

All to do with elf n safety Methinks,I couldn't count the times in the past when I've dug My fingers into dishes of nuts & crisps on the bar not even thinking of how many filthy fingers had been there before Me ...All meals in pubs now must be cooked in a kitchen which follows the rules.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK

02-01-2016, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by May ->
All to do with elf n safety Methinks,I couldn't count the times in the past when I've dug My fingers into dishes of nuts & crisps on the bar not even thinking of how many filthy fingers had been there before Me ...All meals in pubs now must be cooked in a kitchen which follows the rules.
Hit the nail on the head there May! Spot on!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top