Join for free
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2015, 10:37 AM

Titanic Exhibition

A century after the Titanic sunk to the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean, viewers at an exhibition can put themselves in the place of the tragic 2,208 passengers.

Titanic the Exhibition allows history buffs to wander the reconstructed replicas of the bedrooms and hallways of the British liner while browsing more than 300 original artefacts from the survivors and the 1,495 people who died when the ship hit an iceberg on its way to New York on April 15, 1912.

The Image Exhibition production has voyaged to Perth for the first time and opened to the public at the Perth Convention and Exhibition Centre on Saturday.

Although this is has always been a tragic but fascinating event I would be somewhat uncomfortable seeing this. It does not sit well with me.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...Australia.html
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2015, 11:04 AM

Re: Titanic Exhibition

It seems a bit ghoulish to me as well solo. I wouldn't want to go creeping about where so many people had died a horrible death. Leave the poor souls alone.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2015, 11:14 AM

I must be weird because it's somewhere I'd visit. I think we should experience the gruesome and tragic as well as the fluffy stuff.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2015, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I must be weird because it's somewhere I'd visit. I think we should experience the gruesome and tragic as well as the fluffy stuff.

Why? What good can it do you?
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2015, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I went to Auschwitz and Bergen-Belsen to experience that so called tragedy. Your mind does not take in nor can it comprehend it, so if that visit is not for personal reasons, in truth you are really visiting out of morbid curiosity.

No we do not need to experience some of these human tragedies.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2015, 01:03 PM

At the 'Eagles Nest' near Berchtesgarten in Germany there is an exhibition to the 'Halocaust', I had to come out after 5 minutes as I found it too upsetting. I don't think you need to visit these exhibitions to appreciate the horror of it all.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2015, 01:48 PM

Well it will certainly make me reflect on how lucky I am that I haven't been through anything so terrible!
All those artifacts are fascinating, there aren't any other ships of that era where you can visit, that I'm aware of!

I wouldn't go to a concentration camp, that's just too gruesome. The atmosphere must really affect you!
Gabi
Lancs,.
Gabi is female  Gabi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2015, 05:37 PM

http://titanicbelfast.com/the-experi...galleries.aspx

We went to Northern Ireland this year and visited the above it was great.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2015, 11:01 PM

After watching the Leonado Di Caprio and Kate Winslet film of the Titanic disaster the other half and I visited the exhibition at Wembly back in 1999, it was brilliant and moved us so much that we made it one of our special films.

I would not visit the concentration camps though, I think the circumstances were very different.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top