Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2015, 11:20 AM

My own fault, but spare a thought

Every year I get given smellies as Christmas presents and every year I donate them to the church or local charity. Im not being ungrateful.. Im being careful.

I have sensitive skin, always have had.. I once used purple eye shadow (it was the 70's ok) and by the time I got to the cinema my eyes had swollen shut!

Since developing Graves disease its got worse so I use a shower gel with no smell and baby shampoo. I have one washing powder I can trust and one softener.

I have to be careful with face cream, deo's and cleaning fluids, some washing liquid makes my hands swell even some fabric (I cant wear wool or knits) so I feel really silly about what Ive done to myself.

Yesterday morning I ran out of my shampoo and reaching into the store cupboard I found a bottle of shampoo lurking there ..It claimed to be mild so I thought 'once wont hurt' and washed my hair in the shower as normal. I was off on a shopping trip with my daughter anyway so I added shampoo to my list.

While we were out I noticed that my scarf was annoying me so I had to take it off even though it was cold yesterday, on the way home in the car I really started to itch and by the time we got in I felt like a dog with the worst case of fleas.

I showered in plain cool water and put loose pj's on but I had to shower again before bed and keep a cold damp flannel next to the bed to help cool off the hot spots.
Im now covered in a lumpy red rash and I have hot spots all over my body. I feel awful, havent slept and am trying desperatly not to scratch.

I know I have no one to blame but myself and Ive no idea where the shampoo came from..

But just a little plea what with Christmas on the horizon...If someone says they cant use smellies please think of the agnoy Im in and accept what they say.
The amount of times people have hinted that Im just putting it on is amazing. They get really huffy when I say NO smellies ...I wish I could give them a hint of what Im suffering now. .
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2015, 11:30 AM

Re: My own fault, but spare a thought

Cass, see if you think these people might have products that would help you.
This lady's baby had bad cradle cap and everything the doc gave her didn't help. In the end, she made a recipe herself, and it worked, and she has carried on expanding ever since.
She has not long bought her first shop, and they mail order.
She makes alot of unscented products, and they are nice people to deal with and helpful with advice. They deliver within a couple of days too. I've used their stuff for several years so can vouch for it.

www.handmadenaturals.co.uk
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2015, 11:41 AM

Cass, I commiserate with you! I know what it's like to suffer with reactions to these creams, perfumes, sprays etc. Although, I don't react as badly as you, I do suffer when I come in contact with anyone who wears strong perfume or aftershave. I can't breathe! I even used to tell my daughters to tell their boyfriends not to wear aftershave if I they were coming here for dinner! I hate those room air freshners too, it's like I have been poisoned and I can't breathe! I bought a lovely Boots No 7 eyeshadow recently and it made my eyes itch and then went red raw. Some creams make my face go red and blotchy so I only use Nivea or Olay. Some white wines that I'm sure contain excessive sulphites make my eyes itch, my nose run and I go wheezy.
I don't think this age of chemicals and additives suits us!
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2015, 11:54 AM

Cass so sorry to hear this and please don't blame yourself.
Its not your fault if you are allergic to certain things.
Just think that the next time you use something you don't know
that you don't use it.
If you want to stop people buying you smellies and they don't
you could always say if any are bought you hope they don't mind
the charity shop having them.

I cant understand your friends if they insist on doing this. I
told my friends years ago I couldn't use anything on my skin and
I don't get them anymore. So why people don't believe you I
don't know.

I don't use perfumed soap and can only use things that are bland.
Maybe one thing to do is not wash your hair in the shower and see
if the rest of your skin is OK next time you use something you
don't know about. I wash my hair in the sink and then rinse like
mad.

Hope you recover soon Cass. Might be worth mentioning it to the Doc
as there are lots of things they can do at the hospital nowadays.x
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2015, 12:13 PM

Cass have you got any antihistamines? They will help take the itch away for you.
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2015, 12:41 PM

A couple of years ago my wife and daughter had a combined swap & sort out of all their cosmetics & toiletries
Among other things they were throwing out a few part used bottles of perfume, all alcohol based
I put them in my camping stove; the result was interesting
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2015, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Cass have you got any antihistamines? They will help take the itch away for you.
Yes - was going to suggest the same, very good they are

Feel for you Cass, misery is the word for it, especially when people don't understand
Davenorave
Wales
Davenorave is male  Davenorave has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2015, 01:28 PM

All I can do is to offer my sympathy for you condition and current symptoms.
Moyra
South East Essex
Moyra is female  Moyra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2015, 01:46 PM

I suffer from a constant itch it is to do with some medication I am on but because I take so many pills and tablets I am not sure which but I live on antihistamines most of the time.
Maddy
somewwhere.....
Maddy is female  Maddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2015, 01:55 PM

cass just reading your topic to my hubby -i have never heard of it ever ' but have now ... totally feel for you in this situation ...like having chicken pox but ten times worse .poor you- i do hope it clears very soon ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top