Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2015, 09:04 PM

Can anyone advise ?

I have two very dear friends who are having a very bad time. She has very bad physical problems is very over active and has had a nervous break down,she had a very big serious operation this year on her back, now the problem is reoccuring. He keeps things to himself,but now he has started drinking heavily saying nasty things to her, bringing up things she did years ago.Both are very good people and I cry for them .Ive had her crying on the phone,we live a long way from each other, saying she cant cope with him like this, they only have one son ,who also lives a long way off,and she says she dare not tell him, he warned his Dad sometime ago that if he drinks he will not be allowed in their house,,There is no one else near my friend can confide in But I dont know how to HELP them.An suggestions Please ?
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2015, 09:08 PM

Re: Can anyone advise ?

Good grief, no, but can only sympathise! That poor woman. How about their GP? Can they be contacted, even if the woman herself does it? I do wonder if the son should be told, though? They can't keep this to themselves, and the son could maybe speak to the doctor.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2015, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Good grief, no, but can only sympathise! That poor woman. How about their GP? Can they be contacted, even if the woman herself does it? I do wonder if the son should be told, though? They can't keep this to themselves, and the son could maybe speak to the doctor.
Such good advise Jazzi. Something has to be done for these poor people.
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2015, 09:41 PM

Perhaps if your friend had a chat with the local Citizens Advice Centre they are very good they could probably put her on the right path. They have helped me in the past on a couple of occasions. Hope all turns out well for your friends.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2015, 09:45 PM

Maybe a doctor could refer them to Social Services who could assess the situation?
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2015, 10:32 PM

Thankyou I also thought of their Dr I suggested this and hope they will go
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2015, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->

I agree Jazzi, that's much what I was thinking too.
Only problem with the GP might be that I don't believe they can treat somebody without their permission, (not unless they 'sectioned' them).
I assume it would be the same for Alcoholics Anonymus, it's is the person themself who would have to go, so if the husband himself can't see he needs help, I don't know what they can do unfortunately.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2015, 10:43 PM

It's a very sad situation and all you can do is be there for her , it may also help if you mention the samaritans who are there 24 hrs a day should she need someone to talk to during difficult times day or night , they are very supportive . The free phone number is 116123 . There will be someone there to listen to her as well as yourself . Hope this helps .
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2015, 11:11 PM

Perhaps Age UK could advise if they're elderly.
Browbeaten
manchester
Browbeaten is male  Browbeaten has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2015, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Maybe a doctor could refer them to Social Services who could assess the situation?
I agree on contacting Social Services Art, but I am not sure if a doctor would refer them without seeing the patient.
If there is such a cause for concern I would contact Social Services direct for their advice.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top