Join for free
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2015, 10:26 PM

Satellite Imagery for free

Hi

Well, we might as well get something out of the EU

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-34593908

Great fun.
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2015, 07:20 AM

Re: Satellite Imagery for free

That looks pretty amazing.
You've tried it?
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2015, 08:47 AM

My daughter works on that project, also the EU Galileo project which will give us our own GPS system.
This we will lose if we come out the EU, we will have to pay America China and Russia for the service, which mounts up to billions.
I have seen all the launches as and when they occur.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2015, 10:12 AM

Looks interesting thank you Gibbs now I just need a bit of spare time to explore it ...
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2015, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by lovemyboys ->
That looks pretty amazing.
You've tried it?
Hi

Yes. great fun, you can mess around with it and get some lovely pictures.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

05-12-2015, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Wrinkly ->
My daughter works on that project, also the EU Galileo project which will give us our own GPS system.
This we will lose if we come out the EU, we will have to pay America China and Russia for the service, which mounts up to billions.
I have seen all the launches as and when they occur.
Hi

Agree totally, not only that, but it is essential for own security, the other systems are not under our control and can be switched off at any time, which would cause chaos as we are now so dependant on it.

I used a sophisticated version at work, originally military, used for tracking and predicting concentrations in case of a chemical attack.

We use it for tracing Legionnaires Disease outbreaks for example, locating the plumes from air conditioning plants, cancer clusters etc etc.

All good stuff.
DragonsRealm
Montgomery,Alabama
DragonsRealm is male  DragonsRealm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2015, 11:29 AM

Sounds pretty cool,I have used Google Earth to find my house and other places of interest out west.It cool getting a birds eye view of things.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2015, 03:01 PM

That is very interesting SF, thanks for that.
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2015, 05:49 PM

Amazing pictures SF. I go on goole earth quite a lot and find things that i didnt know existed
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2015, 06:04 PM

One of the most interesting things that I discovered were the remnants of old WW1 & WW2 airfields only visible from the air. There are a number of them within 25 miles of me. In WW1, RNAS Longside was an airship station to provide North sea convoys protection from U-boats, while Strathbeg was a 'float plane' station. A little bit of this history exists across the road from my house. The village WRI (Womans' Rural Institute) hall (and now the local car mechanic's workshop) was originally one of the workshops from RNAS Longside.

In WW2 a number of RAF stations in N Aberdeenshire provided aircrew training facilities, while the nearest one to me , RAF Banff (locally known as Boyndie Drome), was HQ for operations against the Germans in Norway (flying Mosquitos and Beaufighters).

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top