Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2015, 12:20 AM

Making Excuses

Imagine for a moment, that you were at a party someone had gone to a lot of trouble to organise.
Imagine also, it was not your sort of thing at all. You felt like a fish out of water, hardly knew anyone, wanted to disappear, but felt guilty and didn't want to appear rude.

What would you do? Would you tell a porkie pie and leave, would you just slide off, or would you stick it out till the bitter end so as not to offend?

I told a lie today. I abhor lies. But I really didn't want to be where I was, so told a porkie and went.
Was that mean?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2015, 12:22 AM

Re: Making Excuses

I think I would suddenly have a very bad migraine attack, make my apologies and do a quick exit...
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2015, 12:24 AM

No, that doesn't make you a mean person Mups, it's just sometimes you need to give yourself permission to do what YOU want and be where YOU want to be!
It's OK.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2015, 12:25 AM

Mups I have been in a similar situation on many occasions and left at the first opportunity.

I just politely said 'I am sorry I have to leave now. It's been lovely, thank you so much for asking me .

I never felt the need to make anything up or to give an explanation which might sound like an excuse.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2015, 12:26 AM

Thanks Mags and Ruthio, I feel a bit better now.
I did feel mean, but knew it wasn't for me and wanted to get away.
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2015, 12:30 AM

Not mean, just human.
I've done it a few times in the past, but nowadays I don't even go to events if I don't want to.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2015, 02:30 AM

ABSOLUTELY NO WAY was it mean !!!

We can only do what we can do ... and that's it

Never feel guilty because you are are a totally inadequate whimp and a worthless individual who looks like the backside of a ? lol dunno ?

Pooooo ... in other words ... been there, dunnit and **** what the Hell !

You come over as a lovely, caring person and if people are unable to accept the way you are then they are a waste of space.

Someone of us who have empathy and are sensitive are considered weak by the 'strong' characters.

Ppppfffftttt

I HAVE SPOKEN ... SO THERE !
xxxx
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2015, 02:43 AM

Stay till the booze runs out - always works for me !

After a while, things invariably seem better than one first thought.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2015, 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by Pumicestone ->
Stay till the booze runs out - always works for me !
Well yes ... that's exactly what I meant to say
oxymoron47
Australia
oxymoron47 is male  oxymoron47 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2015, 06:05 AM

I went to my brother in law's family Christmas dinner for the first time 3 years ago. Over 40 people there. No one so much as acknowledged me during the 4 hours my wife and I were there.

In addition, my (Vietnamese) wife and her equally Viet sister were coerced into doing all the cooking and serving, with no help from the other (all Italian) women there. Nor was a place laid for us at any table.

In reality, my wife and her sister were just used as kitchen slaves. This just didn't work for me. We were the first to leave and, as a parting gesture, I thanked all of them for their lack of hospitality and help in the kitchen.

I later called my brother in law and told him in no uncertain terms what I thought of him and his extended family. He denied it all, but apologised for my "misunderstanding", and continues to invite my wife and I every year. To which I rudely reply, "Merry Xmas and f... you and your family".

Ok. I admit that I'm an unforgiving cretin, but I can live with that quite happily.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top