Join for free
Asp3
San Jose, CA
Asp3 is male  Asp3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2015, 05:13 AM

Science Fiction Literature

Who here enjoys written science fiction? Who are your favorite authors? What are your favorite stories, novels or series?

Science fiction is my favorite type of fiction. I enjoy all types of science fiction from short stories to novellas, novels and series.

I was mainly a short story reader throughout my college years reading various short story connections and the Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction. I started getting into more novels after college and read those more than short stories these days.

My favorite author overall is Harlan Ellison. My favorite stories from him include "Repent Harlequin Said The Ticktock Man", "I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream", "Along The Scenic Route" and "Santa Clause Vs Spider". I also love his prose and think that "The Glass Teat" and "The Other Glass Teat" are one of the best collections of television criticism and political commentary from the 60's and 70's.

For novels I really enjoy "The Disposessed" and "The Left Hand Of Darkness" by Ursula K Le Guin, "To Your Scattered Bodies Go" by Philip Jose Farmer, "Finity" by John Barnes, "The Golden Globe" by John Varley and "Kiln People" by David Brin. I also like several Jonathan Lethem books including "Gun With Occasional Music", "As She Climbed Across The Table" and "Motherless Brooklyn." I recently found Olivia Butler and love her book "Fledgling" the only vampire novel I've ever liked.

For series my favorite is probably the Thousand Cultures series by John Barnes that starts with "A Million Open Doors." I also really like the John Varley series which stars with "Titan", the Uplift series which starts with "Sundiver" by David Brin, the "Neuromancer" books by William Gibson, Stephen Baxter's Destiny's Children series and his A Time Odyssey series with Arthur C Clark. Octavia Butler's Parable series and Xenogenesis series are wonderful as well.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2015, 11:44 AM

Re: Science Fiction Literature

One of the first SF books i read was "The Left Hand Of Darkness" by Ursula K Le Guin.

My favourite SF author is EE Doc Smith, Lensman, Skylark series and loads of others Had everything he had published, they became a public health hazard so chucked them out thinking to replace them with fresh copies.

Big mistake as they are now out of print.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2015, 12:07 PM

Re: Science Fiction Literature

I quite enjoy post apocalyptic fiction much of that is science fiction in origin. Scott Nickolsen, Robert J Crane, and Richard T Stevens all write well particularly the Tales of New Hope by Stevens.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top