Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2010, 01:13 PM

Arthritis - Help please

I have been going to see an orthopaedic surgeon for a couple of years now with the intention of getting new knees when I have lost weight.

This last time (on Monday) I fully expected him to put me on the wating list for some new knees.

The pain has become so bad that I cannot sleep at night. I cannot walk and even standing in the kitchen is a bit of a nightmare.

This is not easy as I have always been a hard working gal. I have worked as a cook standing for many hours early morning to late nights. I have worked in a shop again long hours on my feet and finally I worked as a nurse walking miles around hospital corridors and sometimes being on my feet doing a double shift.

I am overweight and that is no lie. However, my knees have worn out. I used to walk everywhere I never learned to drive and walked miles to school, work and pleasure. My legs have served me well but they are now worn out.

My babies were huge things 11lbs or more. Yes my poor old pins have had their share of weight.

The doctor said that an operation when you are overweight is dangerous there are risks of clotting and infection and I don't like the sound of that at all.

I asked him how I could manage the pain which is really bad and he said lose weight or use a stick.

Well the doctor has given me co-codamol and ibuprofen and we have also tried tramadol which didn't seem to help it is almost like a really bad toothache which hurts and hurts until I think I can't take anymore and then it might stop and it seems worse at night my knees are also swollen.

Now I am not writing this saga for sympathy but there might be people out there who have had similar experience with pain and I would so like to get your advice.

Any pain management ideas would be so appreciated. By the way warmth seems to make things worse so I have been using a cold anti-inflammatory gel which helps a bit.
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2010, 01:27 PM

Re: Arthritis - Help please

What do you want us to say??

Hugs of course.

But it sounds like surgery to me-and only an expert can advise you.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2010, 01:44 PM

Thanks Og for the hugs but I just wondered if there was someone out there who had managed their pain and could give advice.
You know as well as me that people our age suffer pain without too much complaint but this pain is damned awful and the lack of sleep is damned awful too. I feel as if the experts can't help me and that I have to help myself. Believe me I am trying to lose weight and it is not easy using diet alone.
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2010, 01:49 PM

I know what you're going through CC, . . my wife went through the same, . . she was overweight too but they eventually replaced her knee, . . it depends what age you are as surgeons don't like replacing knees before you're over 60, . . something to do with tissues etc, . . the OP is well worth while and if you think you're being fobbed off because of your weight get another opinion, . . . my wife's never looked back since her OP 4 years ago.

She was on Co-Dydramol 30/500 , . . and still takes these but a lesser dose, . . can I ask how your BP is ? . . if it's OK go call your GP and insist on stronger pain relief, . . co-codamol is useless IMO, you can buy it over the counter without a prescription, . . there's nothing worse than severe pain.
FayRose
Devon, UK
FayRose is female  FayRose has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2010, 02:17 PM

oooh ouch, you have my sympathy Cookiecate.

I have rheumatoid arthritis which is gradually deforming my hands and feet and has recently started on my hips. I also have osteoporosis in my spine and am in for a bone density scan in a couple of weeks, SO I understand the constant 'nagging' pain problem.

Firstly, at night when I can't sleep because of the discomfort, I just think OK that's the end of sleep and I get a cuppa or some Horlicks and read a good mystery (doesn't need loads of concentration).
Is there any position you can sit/lie in which helps a bit? Have you tied all sorts of cushion arrangements, even having your legs at a funny angle to try and find a position in which they are less painful?
Have you tried some supports and I believe there are some jelly filled bandage type contraptions that can either be chilled or maintain a coolness?
I take paracetomol and codeine quite frequently, being unable to take anti inflammatories.

Finally, have you had a go at losing weight? I'm struggling with my weight, having like you always been very active, horse riding, yomping for miles with dogs and now being forced to slow down. I'm gonna keep at it though because I know I'll be in more trouble if I gain any more.

Very best wishes to you, let us know how you go on and I'll keep my wonky fingers crossed for you.

Fay x
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2010, 02:17 PM

You can buy Co-codomol 8/500mg for mild pain over the Chemist counter but you will need a doctor's prescription for Co-codomol 30/500mg tablets for severe pain. I find the 30/500mg dosage very effective when I have bouts of severe back pain.

Have you considered wearing a knee brace for support, Cookiecate ?

My husband suffers with a virtually worn out knee joint and he also has arthritis in it. On very bad days he wears a hinged knee brace which supports and relieves the stress to his knee.
http://www.physioroom.com/how_to_gui...pport.php#2896
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2010, 02:23 PM

Hugs from me too CC.

I can imagine how you feel as a couple of years ago I had terrible pains in my knees and it actually got me really depressed as like you, I have always been a very active person.

When I went to the docs he mumbled I had arthritis and to go back to him if it got worse. As if it could get worse I could hardly walk!

Anyway, I went back on my detox and they began to get better. I think I was eating too many tomatoes/acidic foods as I would have pasta almost everyday as I used to make it in bulk so it would last the whole week.

Tomato skins are very hard for our bodies to digest, and are also a member of the nightshade family which is naturally 'toxic', along with being quite acidic.

Whenever I am ill or not well in anyway, my first port of call is always getting my food intake back in take via the detox. If you're interested in it here it is:

http://www.over50sforum.com/showthread.php?t=1369
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool

02-04-2010, 04:24 PM

I knew that if I turned to you lovely lot that I would get some ideas on how to manage this pain.

My husband has made me stay resting today he says he thinks it is the extra walking I have done for the last four months (while he was away I was walking the dog about a mile each day) which has set the knees off being so painful and he believes I need to rest them.

nero It is very comforting to know that the op made such a difference to your wife. I am really going to try and lose some more weight but I will certainly be seeing my GP and asking for a stronger painkiller.

FayRose I have put my legs in some strange positions at night with pillows. I have tried sitting up and laying down but when the pain is there I can do nothing to help it. I do read a lot of rubbish during the night but as you say I can't concentrate on anything sensible. I have lost 2st in the last four months but I am stuck at the moment. I am so sorry about your wonky fingers but I have to say that my thumb and first finger are joining the wonky digits too. However, I am glad that I still have my humour and I see that you still have yours, bless you.

Mags that is interesting about those braces. Some seem very expensive so I will ask my GP about them. When I looked at the x-ray I could see that the poor old bones certainly needed some sort of support.

Azz this morning I was talking to my daughter and she said that my diet was all wrong. (as daughters do) I am on the Atkins diet at the moment and she seems to think that much of my diet will be protien which causes too much acidity. I looked through your list and a great many of the allowed vegetables are also allowed on the Atkins diet along with eggs and chicken. I think I am overdosing on cheese at the moment as well as eating tomatoes and mushrooms. I am going to take your suggestion on board and try and change my way of eating. My daughter was also saying that I need to take magnesium.

Thank you all for so much to think about and try. I will let you all know how I get on. Pain is debilitating and just makes me feel old and I hate being waited on. I had breakfast in bed this morning but you know I would much rather have been spoiling hubs instead.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2010, 04:32 PM

[QUOTE=Cookiecate;49641]

Mags that is interesting about those braces. Some seem very expensive so I will ask my GP about them. When I looked at the x-ray I could see that the poor old bones certainly needed some sort of support.

My husband was given his when he had his x-rays taken at the hospital...... maybe your doctor could give you some advice on that.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2010, 04:42 PM

CC, so sorry you're having so much pain, (((hugs))). My arthritis is under control with OTC supplements so can't offer any advice about pain killers. Although I have found that Celadin cream when rubbed in vigorously when I have a rare flareup does help with the pain .....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top