Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2015, 09:25 PM

Funny Phone Call

I had a dodgy ? phone call a little while ago, He/She with a very strong Indian accent asked for me by name, I did not catch who they said they were calling on behalf of. I confirmed it , then they asked if Id had any nuisance calls, next they then went on to state my name [ right ] my address [right ]my telephone number [right],then to say I pay my phone bill by direct debit, the next question was ' do I have a credit/visa card, I stopped them then, I said I was not answering any more questions, they put the phone down quickly
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2015, 09:30 PM

Re: Funny Phone Call

Do you know deylon, I am fed up to the teeth with these scumbags, and having to be on red alert every time we answer our phone or the front door.
And I fear this is only the tip of the iceberg.

Glad you didn't go any further.
Tregonsee
Lancashire UK
Tregonsee is male  Tregonsee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2015, 09:36 PM

I love the ones claiming to be from Microsoft. Sometimes I will wind them up ( yes I am sitting at my computer etc). Other times I respond with a stream of foul language ending with "off"

Edit to add
I had one of those accident helpline calls just now, I didn't even bother to speak, just hung up on them.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2015, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Tregonsee ->
I love the ones claiming to be from Microsoft. Sometimes I will wind them up ( yes I am sitting at my computer etc). Other times I respond with a stream of foul language ending with "off"

Edit to add
I had one of those accident helpline calls just now, I didn't even bother to speak, just hung up on them.
That's exactly what I do when I get these Spam phone calls.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2015, 09:31 AM

I leave the answering machine to pick up unknown callers. They ring off as soon as they hear 'hello, we're not available...' Had one yesterday and recognised the number as the one that had called recently, asking for someone else, but getting the name of our development correct. When she asked me what flat number I was I put her straight, saying 'I don't have to answer that!' And off she went. She promised to remove my number from the database. Obviously she didn't, so I will answer next time and have another go.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2015, 09:45 AM

I never answer the phone these days at all !
If they are friends or family or it is urgent they will leave a message on the answerphone and we will call them back,
that way we never have a 'scam' call so no problems !
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2015, 09:50 AM

We have a new one here.
This was on our answering machine (I kept a copy of it as I reported it)

"In the next 24 hours, we will be marking a lien on your assets and your bank accounts due to your inability to settle your dues with the CRA. A bill collections officer will persist you soon to complete that paper works. If you have any questions, then call our Tax Default Line: 613-689-3541. I repeat it, 613-689-3541. If you don't call immediately or if we don't hear from your attorney either, then you will be sole responsible for all legal consequences. Goodbye."

The CRA is the Canada Revenue Agency. (And the bad grammar's not mine!)
I knew it was a scam right away, as no gov't agency makes such phone calls.
They called back once more, and I told them I worked for the CRA, and the conversation was being recorded.
They hung up, and they've not bothered me since.
The police are aware of it, but there's not a lot they can do. Caller ID shows the call as being made within Canada, but it's been masked and the calls are actually coming from India and Pakistan.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2015, 09:55 AM

Just say if you want questions answered it will cost you £5000, and I choose which to answer. Or tell them to pee off.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2015, 10:25 AM

I agree with Malcolm and Jazzi.
Never ever answer the landline these days...listen, and when the answer message kicks in if it's a crap call there will be no message.
If it's friend or family they will say so immediately.
If it's important, hospital or surgery fir example, the person will always begin a message saying who they are and you can pick it up straight away.
If I leave my number with a new firm these days I tell them if you call you must say who you are or I don't pick up.
Most people seem to do this now.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2015, 12:32 PM

My housing association manager often calls and her number is withheld. She'll say her name and say, 'Janet, I know you screen your calls so will wait to see if you are in...'

Sometimes I see/hear withheld and may answer it, if expecting her to call.

I have a flash phone that recites out loud who or what number is calling. So if I'm reclining in my chair I can choose whether to get up and answer it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top