Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2015, 11:06 AM

Ladybird Books.

Ladybird Books marked centenary by releasing new series for grown-ups
They’ve so far sold 100,000 copies and million more printed for Christmas
Comedy writers Jason Hazeley & Joel Morris are brains behind new series
New book titles include The Hipster, The Hangover and The Mid-Life Crisis.

I think i need to buy the set, Ladybird, I Spy books were an integral part of my childhood, so a guide to adulthood, why not?

So what would your adult titles that you would like to see covered ?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...wn-charts.html
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2015, 11:22 AM

Re: Ladybird Books.

On my Christmas Wish list

I've still got my 1946 Cinderella which is worth loads now.
Collected all the History series and the rhyming animal tales...just love them!

How about The Ladybird Book of Internet Forum Etiquette!!!

P.S. apparently there's an extremely rare Computers which is worth a small fortune now.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2015, 11:31 AM

I managed a book department in Debenhams in Southampton in the late 1960's and early 1970's,

LADYBIRD books were 2/6 for years, published by WILLS & HEPWORTH of Loughborough & originally with dust covers.

Many titles were suitable for adults even then. Decimalisation put the price up to 15p

My children#s favóurite story was LOST AT THE FAIR.

Such happy times

RUTHIO, I found an early copy of this title (1948?) & gave it to my son on his 40th birthday
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2015, 11:34 AM

Oh memories. Ladybird books for children were, no doubt still are, wonderful. I used to buy at least 2 each week for my son.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2015, 11:40 AM

Sorry to go off topic, but I have neglected LADYBIRD books for my grandkids & am buying for them the PETER RABBIT books one every month, having visited this summer BEATRIX POTTER'S home in the Lake District
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2015, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->
I managed a book department in Debenhams in Southampton in the late 1960's and early 1970's,

LADYBIRD books were 2/6 for years, published by WILLS & HEPWORTH of Loughborough & originally with dust covers.

Many titles were suitable for adults even then. Decimalisation put the price up to 15p

My children#s favóurite story was LOST AT THE FAIR.

Such happy times

RUTHIO, I found an early copy of this title (1948?) & gave it to my son on his 40th birthday
What a fabulous gift!!!!

I worked in a book shop for some years when teaching jobs were hard to come by in the 70s...loved it!
Best thing about books is they sit still and don't answer back!!
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK

25-11-2015, 11:00 AM

Only 3 Ladybird fans ?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2015, 11:33 AM

I was nearly put off Ladybird books for life by the awful Peter and Jane
example...
'Peter and Jane like the dog.
I like the dog.
We all like the dog '.

The language used was so tedious it was enough to put children off reading for life .

They did redeem themselves later on thought with their informative books on trees and birds etc and I am still reading Ladybird editions of fairy stories to my Grandchildren
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2015, 11:45 AM

Detested Janet and John and Peter and Jane and anyone like them cos they were always so goody goody .

ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK

25-11-2015, 02:24 PM

Saw the new ones in Sainsburys yesterday...brilliant!
Agree about boring goody goody children... my kids loved My Naughty Little Sister

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top