Join for free
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2010, 03:16 PM

April Fool

It appears that most newspapers print a startling story on April 1st, have you ever been caught out by their joke?

Today's treat in our local paper stated that there was a plan to build a 200 ft high statue of Long John Silver, costing £10 million, in Bristol's Docks! It even had his raised leg resting on top of the art gallery

It was about an hour before me and hubby twigged what day it was!

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/news/...l/article.html

Have you any April 1st gems to share with us?
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2010, 04:34 PM

Re: April Fool

Not a newspaper but a news item. A bit technical but a few were taken in by it;

http://techie-buzz.com/foss/microsof...canonical.html

Convincing ..but for those who aren't technical, this would be about as likely as snow falling upwards.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2010, 06:02 PM

Lol they seem to be getting worse as well (as in more people doing them!) I can't remember it being this bad before
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2010, 06:39 PM

I came across another one that said Google was thinking of changing the name to 'Topeka'.
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2010, 06:43 PM

GMTV always have an April Fools news item on their news each year. It said on today's news that there was a new European Law that you had to be the right height to be able to feed giraffes They even had a zoo keeper manager on there talking so seriously about it! I didn't realise until hubby said "that's an April Fool." I'm so gullable I wouldn't have noticed
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2010, 08:58 PM

Haven't see any today but a few years ago the Daily Record had on it's front page a photograph of Ben Nevis with a massive restaurant built on the summit, . . the story went on to say that a rare mineral had been found at the base of the mountain, . . the mineral was called Lirpa Loof, . . . . that's when the penny dropped for me.
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2010, 09:02 PM

I don't think I would have got that either Nero.

My hubby said this evening that if you do April Fools after
12.00 pm it's back luck, is this true?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2010, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Alicat ->
I don't think I would have got that either Nero.

My hubby said this evening that if you do April Fools after
12.00 pm it's back luck, is this true?
As far as I know the tradition goes that after 12.00 noon you can no longer play tricks. In the afternoon, whoever does play a trick becomes the fool.

Children used to sing a song if anyone attempted an April Fool trick after that time ....

April Fool is dead and gone,
You're a fool to carry it on.
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2010, 10:52 AM

I used to be an April Fooler-back around 1970 or `71 I forget now, me and a friend prepared for days.

We wrapped some plastic poodles we had found thrown away and included a spoof message from the Bedfordshire Times implying that the winner who could complete the limerick I had 3/4 written would win a prize.

We boxed up rotten fruit with a message it was from Fyffes.............

We set off at just before midnight and had covered three local villages when a police car picked us up at about 03.00hrs.

At first they were sceptical and thought we were out with intent to steal but after a tour of our `adventure` they drove us five miles away and said

"Ok lads-you can get out and walk home from here -April fool!!
jj'sgirl
Kent UK
jj'sgirl is female  jj'sgirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2010, 11:28 AM

On Radio 4 they had a stunt to ask was Shakespere French...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today...00/8598291.stm

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top