Join for free
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2010, 02:11 PM

People in their 60s and 70s five times more likely to develop skin cancer

Make sure you have regular check ups guys...

People in their 60s and 70s are five times more likely to develop skin cancer than their parents.

New figures from Cancer Research UK suggest the boom in foreign holidays and the use of sunbeds in the 1970s - before sunscreen was widely used - could be to blame.
See vid here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8598631.stm
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2010, 02:23 PM

Re: People in their 60s and 70s five times more likely to develop skin cancer

Yeah, I saw that earlier on the news Azz, . . . I was never a fan of the tan, . . pardon the pun , . . . I've never been to a sun bed salon, any tan I've had was a natural one.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2010, 02:52 PM

I have a hospital appointment later this month to have a mole removed from my arm. Fortunately my consultant is pretty certain it isn't malignant but as there is 'growth' occurring with it, I have to have the growth and the mole removed and tested just in case.

My consultant said it is definitely caused by sun damage over the years. Our age group just weren't aware of the risks on sunburn years ago so that was most likely when the damage was done. There weren't all the sun lotions and sun blocks around then. We used get burnt and just dab some calamine lotion on it after to sooth the discomfort.

I am by no means a sun worshipper when on holiday but I have spent countless hours gardening in the sunshine without giving sunscreen a thought.

I would urge everyone to have any unusual moles checked out, it's better to be safe than sorry.

Also the gardeners amongst us, slap on the cream or cover your arms
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2010, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I have a hospital appointment later this month to have a mole removed from my arm. Fortunately my consultant is pretty certain it isn't malignant but as there is 'growth' occurring with it, I have to have the growth and the mole removed and tested just in case.

My consultant said it is definitely caused by sun damage over the years. Our age group just weren't aware of the risks on sunburn years ago so that was most likely when the damage was done. There weren't all the sun lotions and sun blocks around then. We used get burnt and just dab some calamine lotion on it after to sooth the discomfort.

I am by no means a sun worshipper when on holiday but I have spent countless hours gardening in the sunshine without giving sunscreen a thought.

I would urge everyone to have any unusual moles checked out, it's better to be safe than sorry.

Also the gardeners amongst us, slap on the cream or cover your arms
Hope the appt goes ok and everything comes back clear Mags *hug*

Wonder if calamine lotion actually plays a part too? Perhaps it's actually more of a hindrance - messing with the body's natural immune system or something? :-/
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2010, 04:27 PM

I was a sun worshipper all my life, and did develop a cancer on my nose in my late 60s. Fortunately it was a basal cell carcinoma, the most curable of all, and the surgery got it all. But I still miss lying in the sun for hours .....
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2010, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
Hope the appt goes ok and everything comes back clear Mags *hug*

Wonder if calamine lotion actually plays a part too? Perhaps it's actually more of a hindrance - messing with the body's natural immune system or something? :-/
Thanks Azz

Calamine is made up of a mixture of zinc oxide and iron oxide and can also be used as a mild antiseptic, I've never really thought about how it could affect the natural immune system
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2010, 10:03 PM

Hope all goes well for you Mags.......my BIL recently had a small 'mole' removed from his shoulder. This proved to be a Basal Cell Carcinoma like Dandysmom, and they were able to clear it all. He also had another one removed at the same time and this was negative. He worships the sun and was told by the Consultant that it was because of sitting/lying in the sun for hours on end with no protection. My Sister told him and better told him to get sun protection on, but he knew better! Don't think he will be sitting in the sun with no protection on again...........
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK

01-04-2010, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by merz ->
Hope all goes well for you Mags.......my BIL recently had a small 'mole' removed from his shoulder. This proved to be a Basal Cell Carcinoma like Dandysmom, and they were able to clear it all. He also had another one removed at the same time and this was negative. He worships the sun and was told by the Consultant that it was because of sitting/lying in the sun for hours on end with no protection. My Sister told him and better told him to get sun protection on, but he knew better! Don't think he will be sitting in the sun with no protection on again...........
Thanks Merz

I think a lot of men are like you brother was, they just don't understand how important it is to use sun protection until it's too late
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2010, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Thanks Merz

I think a lot of men are like you brother was, they just don't understand how important it is to use sun protection until it's too late
Think you're right there Mags-a 'man' thing. He always said he didn't need anything on because his skin was used to the sun...now he knows differently.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK

01-04-2010, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by merz ->
Think you're right there Mags-a 'man' thing. He always said he didn't need anything on because his skin was used to the sun...now he knows differently.
They are not as tough as they think, are they!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top