Join for free
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2015, 10:37 AM

Winter Stews

When icy blasts blow about your nether regions it's time for hearty stews to warm you up.

We always had a stew pot simmering away so that a hot meal was ready to eat. Old habits die hard but memories of those delicious stews linger.

Steak, Kidney with veg for me

Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2015, 10:46 AM

Re: Winter Stews

I was taught to make a proper Lancashire hot pot containing both shin beef and lamb neck . It is quite a dry stew with crisp golden layers of potato on top and served with pickled cabbage and piccalilli.

I also like oxtail stew. I think it is essential to braise the meat the day before it is required then place it in the fridge overnight so the fat can rise to the top and be lifted off ensuring the stew is not greasy. Then the vegetables are added and lastly the dumplings.

I make a simple stew with beef skirt in red wine with potatoes carrots and dumplings.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2015, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I was taught to make a proper Lancashire hot pot containing both shin beef and lamb neck . It is quite a dry stew with crisp golden layers of potato on top and served with pickled cabbage and piccalilli.

I also like oxtail stew, it is essential to braise the meat the day before it is required then it can be placed in the fridge overnight and the fat rises to the top and can be lifted off.
Then the vegetables are added and lastly the dumplings.

I make a simple stew with beef skirt in and red wine with potatoes carrots and dumplings.
We used to put cow heel in as well Meg as it was considered to be extra nourishment. It also made a rich jelly gravy when left overnight.

I can still get it but have to use my butcher as you don't see it in many shops
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2015, 11:09 AM

I love my stew in Wintertime.
I just use stewing meat as we don't like kidney.
Just put the potatoes veg in a little later than
the meat so it gets a good cook first. Then
with the meat I always put a big onion and garlic
and seasoning with the meat so the gravy is ready
for the veg to go in and soak it up.
Mmmmm I am feeling hungry already
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2015, 11:34 AM

Sheila always makes stew the day before we eat it, it seems to thicken up and become more tasty that way.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2015, 01:43 PM

We always used to have stew when I was a kid for two days..it always tasted better on the second day...now I make stews in my slow cooker or sometimes I do them on the hob too..I love them as theyre so warming and delicious and makes lots of portions
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2015, 02:06 PM

I like a steak & kidney as a pie, but I'm afraid that photo rather put me off.

I make stews with either pork rib or beef 'plate' (may be roughly equivalent to Silverside). If it was a broth, I'd use either beef rib or shin (called 'skink' in this area).
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2015, 09:53 AM

I love stew, but make no allowances for weather or season - was eating stew earlier this year in the height of summer!!!

I make my stews in a cauldron - one of these:

http://www.qvcuk.com/Cooks-Essential...Set-with-Stora

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top