Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Hanfonius
North Wales
Hanfonius is male  Hanfonius has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2015, 10:53 AM

I am proud to be a monarchist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8nJhG1xE5o

Very often, I despair with the way life is constantly changing. In my lifetime, I have gone from being a very proud British citizen to almost an itinerant in my own country. We seem to have lost our own identity.

There is one thing that never changes though, the dedication of our Queen.

I hold my hand high, and without any embarrassment declare that I am proud - and honoured - to being British.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2015, 11:09 AM

Re: I am proud to be a monarchist.

I am a proud monarchist too but I don't feel as you do about the rest, I still live an "English" life in England, very little changed really to how I lived 30-40 years ago.
Alien
Uk
Alien is male  Alien has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2015, 11:23 AM

I'm certainly no monarchist but neither do I wish them 'gone' although when I look at air miles andy and his useless offspring I do wonder why we still support this family and hangers on ..
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2015, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Hanfonius ->
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8nJhG1xE5o

Very often, I despair with the way life is constantly changing. In my lifetime, I have gone from being a very proud British citizen to almost an itinerant in my own country. We seem to have lost our own identity.

There is one thing that never changes though, the dedication of our Queen.

I hold my hand high, and without any embarrassment declare that I am proud - and honoured - to being British.
Is it not now frowned on to want to keep your British identity. The new word is ADAPT not proud !
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2015, 11:48 AM

I am not a Monarchist ! I think we could manage just as well as a country without them....but having said that I have a great deal of admiration and respect for our current crop of Royals who seem to work tirelessly on our behalf with their charity work and 'appearances' everywhere putting smiles on the faces of children and adults alike in our country and abroad.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2015, 01:04 PM

I wouldn't go so far as saying I am 'proud' to be a Monarchist pride is something I reserve for special things but I do think the Queen has given a wonderful service to her country..
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2015, 01:14 PM

No,I'm not a Monarchist,but I do admire the Queen for having to put up with Her gawdawful Husband and Children,yeuk!!...I also like Willie Harry and Kate,they're a breath of fresh air...Am I proud to be British?...erm..No..and those who know Me know why,lol...But I'm very proud to be Scottish ;~)
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2015, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by May ->
No,I'm not a Monarchist,but I do admire the Queen for having to put up with Her gawdawful Husband and Children,yeuk!!...I also like Willie Harry and Kate,they're a breath of fresh air...Am I proud to be British?...erm..No..and those who know Me know why,lol...But I'm very proud to be Scottish ;~)
I am not proud to be British either I just happen to have been born British/ English so it is something over which I had no control.

I am proud of things I have achieved
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2015, 01:20 PM

I am British, a Monarchist, and a supporter of a United Kingdom.
I lived for the longest time in England, but I never felt particularly "English".
I got the impression that while people could be proud to be Scottish, Welsh or Irish, there seemed to be an increasing reluctance to be English. Almost as if it was 'Jingoistic'.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2015, 01:44 PM

The term "Proud to be British" is somewhat silly imo and people I think don't realise what they are saying.

Being born in any given country is niether an achievement nor anything to harp on about. We have no choice over where we are born. Therefore being "proud" to be born in country X is an utterly meaningless statement.

What people usually mean by this expression is that they are proud to be part of a collective of people who exhibit certain characteristics, principles and beliefs. i.e. the British way, the British spirit and so on.

Whilst being proud of characteristics and principles is quite a valid thing, to label them exclusively as "British" is frankly stupid and borderline racist.

For example, if all Brits were in general brave people and by saying I am "proud to be British" meant I am proud to be brave then clearly the expression is a nonsense because bravery is not a trait exclusive to British people.

You should more correctly and fairly state "I am proud to be brave"

To think that British people are in someway "special" or "different" to the rest of humanity is crass, egotistical and immature.

By all means be proud to exhibit specific characteristics but don't label those as exclusively British.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top