Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2015, 09:01 PM

Halogen Hobs

Can anyone advise us on these halogen hobs as we want to get all new pans but can't find info that really says what's best - it always, always seems to go to Induction no matter how you pose the question!

This hob is at our new home and will stay, hence the dummy question!
I dunno - we've been on gas for 35 years, including ovens so we are well and truly out of touch! stevmk2
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2015, 11:45 PM

Re: Halogen Hobs

Friends of ours have halogen, they say it heats really fast cools slowly and is very dangerous if you don't realise the surface is still hot. Also very breakable as this is their second because the first shattered when a jar was accidentally dropped on the stove. Not something I would want (we had gas until recently and now have solid plate electric).
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2015, 11:57 PM

Steve, my newish cooker has a ceramic hob. One of the hotplates is a halogen one. It is 'instant,' so as you turn the knob it instantly glows a very bright red and is hot straightaway. The instruction book says never to look straight at the red hotplate, it can damage your eyes. It clicks on and off on a thermostat, so its red one minute then goes off, then comes red again, depending on what temperature it's set at.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2015, 12:21 AM

Steve My last two cookers have been ceramic top halogen cookers and I've been very pleased with them. No problem at all with them and my current one is now 5 years old. The ceramic top is easy to clean with a special cream for ceramic tops. There isn't a scratch to be seen on the top and I've found no problem with the glass. I have never dropped anything on my cooker, can't imagine ever doing that either.
When I turn off the hobs, a red warning light stays on the hob until it has cooled down.

Regarding the type of pans to use, have a look here at the John Lewis site, click on Hob Types, it may help you to decide ...

http://www.johnlewis.com/buying-guid...e-buying-guide
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2015, 08:58 AM

I'm a fan of ceramic hobs too, although my current cooker isn't a halogen one. True, you do have to be careful as they retain their heat, but then so does a solid plate ring!

Most pans are fine, though I try to avoid heavy ones. My favourits pans are stainless steel with an encapsulated aluminium base. Very even cooking.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2015, 10:29 AM

That's true but for some reason the heat from a solid electric ring can be felt as you approach it, not so with halogen which you seem to have to touch to realise it's hot. That for me is what makes it more dangerous.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2015, 10:31 AM

No, don't touch it Julie, you would get burnt. There is a red light that glows to warn you it is still hot.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

20-11-2015, 10:37 AM

I have no intention of buying one LOL I like something tougher, I drop a lot of things and a fragile glass surface would soon break here. My friend who has one has said if she changes her kitchen she will get a gas stove, she isn't keen on what she has but it was there when she moved in.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

20-11-2015, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I have no intention of buying one LOL I like something tougher, I drop a lot of things and a fragile glass surface would soon break here. My friend who has one has said if she changes her kitchen she will get a gas stove, she isn't keen on what she has but it was there when she moved in.

That's the trouble with all these fitted ktichens now isn't it.
I looked at a few properties recently and they all had fitted kitchens but I don't want somebody else's cooker/frig etc, I want my own, especially when my cooker and fridge are less than 12 months old and the ones in the other houses were alot older and dirtier than mine!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

20-11-2015, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
That's the trouble with all these fitted ktichens now isn't it.
I looked at a few properties recently and they all had fitted kitchens but I don't want somebody else's cooker/frig etc, I want my own, especially when my cooker and fridge are less than 12 months old and the ones in the other houses were alot older and dirtier than mine!
Yes very true TBH I am not keen on built in appliances I have seen too many people have problems with washing machines etc where they have had to almost demolish a run of cupboard s to get to the problem whereas mine I just pull it out and it's all easy to deal with.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top